Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCormick’s Grill Mates - Love ‘em or Leave ‘em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McCormick’s Grill Mates - Love ‘em or Leave ‘em?

Do you Love, like, tolerate, hate, etc... them?

What is your favorite McCormick rub, seasoning, marinade, spice, etc...?

Any interesting combinations, concoctions, uses, etc...?

Personally I don’t have a lot of grocery shopping options nearby... no Costco, Sams, Whole Foods, Target, etc... I’m pretty much stuck with Wal-Mart, Jay C’s (Kroger brand), and Save-A-Lot... oddly enough there is also Dollar General with a full grocery section that surprisingly has some good produce and works in a pinch. I am lucky to have a reputable meat locker close by... anyway I share that to say this... my shopping options are limited and I like to have some stuff besides MMD, BBBR, S&G, etc... rubs available for use. McCormicks seems to be the easiest to acquire so I usually keep a some of their’s and Weber rubs on hand... especially for chicken.

Personally I have been on a Chipotle & Roasted Garlic kick. My wife likes the Applewood Rub...

How about you all?

Click image for larger version

Name:	41945589-9062-46E5-A54B-AE54AA3DB0D2.jpeg
Views:	1648
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	723050

I always keep the Montreal Chicken seasoning in my cupboard. There are a couple dishes that I make using this. I haven’t really used the others though.

Comment

I always keep a big shaker of Montreal Steak in my pantry, along with Lawry’s Poultry rub and Bad Bryon’s Butt Rub.

I’ve enjoyed several of the McCormick rubs over the years, as well as the Weber. I keep a selection on hand for when I am too lazy to mix my own up. I used to always keep their hamburger seasoning in the pantry, until I started doing smash burgers, and now its just pepper, onion powder and garlic powder as mix-ins, and salt at the grill. The Brazilian Steakhouse is pretty good too, and I have some of that in the pantry, along with some of the Applewood rub.

I tend to buy the large (23 oz?) containers of these type spices, at my local Sam's Club.

Another good place to get spices is The Spice House, online (www.thespicehouse.com). I started there getting some unique things like Indian Coriander, for brewing my Berliner Weisse, but they have a lot of interesting mixes, and of course, straight up individual spices.
      Last edited by jfmorris; July 31, 2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I visited the Bad Byron's folks a few years ago. Scored some the the 26 oz bottles for half price. I vacuum packed them and put them in the freezer. Good stuff.

I like them. Except for the chicken which is the only one I currently have a king size container of. I tend to make my own spice mixes but I reach for McCormick's whenever it's convenient.
      Last edited by Attjack; July 30, 2019, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I've always been very happy with their seasonins, great everyday go to stuff, has always been my experience!

(Jus got another 2 23 oz. Montreal Chicken, if that passes fer a partial answer...)

Full disclosure: I haven't tried too many of their more recent variants, but if they're on a par with what I've had/used fer years, then I'd try em, without hesitation!

Perhaps ya can make some recommendations, based upon what ya have used, there?

Comment

I mix my own. I get spices at a local store that sells bulk spices, but if you don't have one there are plenty of online options. Advantages are the spices are fresher. You can mix the amount you are going to use, or a large amount that you'll use in less than a year. And you can customise your own, I rarely mix the same thing twice.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Guess thst means no good asking you for one of your recipes.
            I have the tendency to wing it alot and sometimes sorry I didn't take notes.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            holehogg Generally I start with a recipe, then start adding or taking away. Finally wind up with something I like, but can tweak according to mood. Secret is to make small amounts, that way it's always fresh and you can change it up, as opposed to a large amount that you are stuck with until it's gone.

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Reminds me of beer brewing. Basically there are two types, the 'Scientific' who measure exact amounts and make copious notes. Then there are 'Zen' brewers, who loosely follow recipes and don't record anything. I lean toward the latter.

I like them, but I almost always add additional spices.

Comment

The Montreal seasoning is the standard, IMO. Not that there aren’t better, but that is the one that they are better or worse than.

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              I think this is hitting the nail on the head.

You can pry my Montreal Steak seasoning from my warm, greasy hands. I've used a couple of the others and they were fine.

Comment

I like the Montreal seasoning. Haven't tried too many of the others, but my local Winco recently had a variety of flavors in the packets on sale for $0.10 each (limit 10), so I picked up 20 packets of assorted flavors on two visits. I just put some of the Smoky Ranchero inside and outside of my first "fatty" the other day - and I liked it. I think these are quality seasonings from looking at the ingredients. No MSG! That's a lot of seasoning for $2. I see these are all labeled as marinades, but I think its OK to use them as rubs or seasonings also - its just herbs, salt, peppers, and maybe sugar here and there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ranchero.JPG Views:	1 Size:	28.1 KB ID:	723096
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20190730_192124.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.27 MB ID:	723097
              Last edited by treesmacker; July 30, 2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
                Oakgrovebacon commented
                Editing a comment
                Long before this website existed,(20 years ago) I always used the mesquite marinade for brisket. Always turned out good. Might go back and try one the old way,

I always keep some Montreal steak and the hamburger seasoning handy. I'm a big fan of both of those.

Comment

I really liked there pork rub but they have discontinued it or renamed it that I haven't figured out yet. I use them at the cabin in Iowa. Much more convenient than mixing some up for a few weeks.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	21A33ECB-AD7B-461D-9364-1B1E175D3EA2.jpeg
Views:	1341
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	723103 Besides the Montreal Steak Seasoning, which I can’t live without I love their perfect pinch Caribbean Jerk seasoning made into a marinade. I don’t recall where I saw this but it’s a great marinade for pork or chicken.

3 parts Caribbean Jerk seasoning
                  3 parts vegetable oil
                  2 parts soy sauce
                  1 part apple cider vinegar

its the perfect balance of sweet, heat, salty and sour.

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    awesome... thanks for the share

We keep montreal steak and chicken and lawrys poultry. Beyond that i tend to make my own. And hanks.

Comment

McCormicks is sold labeled as Club House up here and are staples when we cook.
                    The Keg is a steakhouse chain that has
                    recently started selling there seasoning.
                    Hard to find a lot of the rubs you take for granted up here so I make my own rubs
                    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here