Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCormick’s Grill Mates - Love ‘em or Leave ‘em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use em fairly often. I have the montreal steak and chicken, and recently ive been digging their herb and garlic and maple smokehouse seasonings.

Comment

I have several of their seasonings and like them all. While I have on occasion made my own concoctions, more often than not I just reach for a pre-made version ... because I'm lazy.

Comment

Hmm. I must be weird, no, I know I am. I don’t use any of them & haven’t since I can’t remember. There is one, Arizona Dreamin by Penzeys (no salt) that we use. Stay away from all pre-packaged rubs. Make my own, it’s easy, and all rubs are put on after I use salt. Just the way it goes!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Well at least I know where I stand on the weirdness scale!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm surprised you're not complaining about this being a survey...you slippin' ??

Of course we have Montreal steak and chicken. Like the Tennessee Whiskey chicken and Applewood rubs.

Comment

The Montreal seasoning is a classic, and, I think, been around for quite a while. I like it. They make something like a Bourbon/Brown sugar mix, which I did not like, thought it has a sort of artificial flavor that was overpowering. The wife picked up that and a couple others on sale, but I really can't remember what I thought of them, though we still have them in the cupboard. Overall, though, outside of the Montreal, I can't say I was super impressed. I tend to make my own anyway.

Comment

Yup another one for Montreal Steak seasoning. Been using it since I was just a young whipper snapper. I like the coarse grind, makes for a nice finish to any bark.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              This is my personal favorite for chuck roasts.

I love the Smokehouse Maple. Great on chicken and Salmon. I also keep the Montreal chicken around as well.

Comment

I’m with FireMan on this one...
              I don’t have any of them...and I’ve never even tried their Montreal seasoning. O_o I’ve seen it, but never felt compelled to pick it up. I just make my own stuff as needed. I couldn’t tell ya the last time I used a premixed seasoning.
              I have a handful of Weber seasonings that were given to me...they now live at my parents house.

Comment

McCormicks Hot Pepper Blackened is great with eggs. I have a bin of half dozen or so of other blends that I mostly sprinkle over lightly steamed vegetables, then toss with olive oil or ghee. But for meats, I mostly mix up my own.

Comment

I've tried most of the flavors over the years. Most have been "meh," but I always go back to the regular Montreal, Spicy Montreal, and Montreal Chicken.

Comment

Boy this takes me back when the McCormick factory was in downtown Baltimore and I Going to school nearby. Loved the smell that it brought to the neighborhood. We make out own Montreal but usually with McCormick spices. Wonder which way is actually cheaper.🤔

Comment

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For a time I lived near a place that made tortillas and tortilla chips.
                      As if I need another reason to eat Mexican food. LOL
                      The smell was awesome...

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Both cool memories!
                      Now, jus imagine what alla our neighbours think, smellin alla dat cue!?!?!?!
                      I grew up, smellin a still not too dang far away, might explain a lot...
                      surfdog Donw

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mr. Bones Funny you should mention that...
                      Many years ago while my boys were visiting friends...I was smoking ribs...
                      Said friends dad drove them home, even though it wasn’t more than a mile away. Was on his way to the store anyway...

I walked out to say hello...upon reaching my driveway he immediately asks, "Is that smoke coming from your house?" Naturally I said yes...
                      He then says, "Damn you! I’ve been smelling that all day and it’s been driving me nuts." LOL of course they were invited...
                      Last edited by surfdog; August 1, 2019, 09:30 AM. Reason: Fixing the shirt autocorrect messed up. ;-)

I use the Montreal Steak as a staple for burgers

Comment

ComfortablyNumb , FireMan , surfdog , I appreciate and respect your ability to be able to do this... I however have not yet discovered a gift for developing my own rubs when it comes to anything out of the ordinary... unfortunately I just don't know what all should go, shouldn't go, what to add to do what, etc... especially when it comes to something like trying to add a bourbon flavor or something like that.

I do normally keep some MMD mixed up as well as a couple of other things... I also have a go to combination of herbs and spices that I use for pork tenderloin or chops sometimes... nothing fancy but I would like to be able to take it to the next level if I could figure out how. I also do my own riffs on MMD and some others to tailor them a little more to my liking but again... very basic stuff.

One thing I like about some store purchased ones especially for steaks is the consistency. I think the flakes and large pieces give it a nice crust.

Maybe one day Meathead can do a video, article or something for us who are untrained on how to build and develop a rub and/or sauce, what spices, herbs, and seasonings do what, etc... or maybe it is out there and I have missed it... I get caught up in the pit and fail to go to the free side as often as I should.

Comment

• Steve R.
                        Steve R. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree. Unless I have a real need for something that the storebought rubs don't provide (maybe something tastes good, but I want less salt, etc.), I mostly take the easy way out, especially if I'm going to be using small amounts of it..

I do have some Black Ops brisket rub and some Black Ops Jah Love Jamaican seasoning that I haven't tried yet.

Comment

Nate I haven't done a video on building rubs, but this article may just be what you are looking for https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...s/science-rubs

Comment

• Nate
                          Nate commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Meathead... yes and thanks. I have been through that and then some of the links inside the post... and it has been a start... I think what I'm needing to learn more is about what spices and herbs do what, blend well and don't blend well, and things like if I wanted to have something where the heat is on the back end and not up front (if that makes sense)… also how do they get smoke, honey, bourbon, etc... built into dry rubs?

• ssandy_561
                          ssandy_561 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not sure about the bourbon but I know you can buy powdered honey and powdered smoke flavoring. Just search Amazon.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here