Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple Powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple Powder?

Does anyone use Maple Powder or Honey powder in their rubs? Just curious if you think it makes a difference in taste and cost.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion. Are you thinking something like subbing in for brown sugar? This is an intriguing idea... 🤔

Comment

Was watching BBQ Pitmasters today and a couple of the competitors mentioned that they used these two powders. They didn’t say if they cut back on the other sugars, but I would think you would have to.

Comment

I have use maple sugar as a substitute for the sugar in a rub, I use less as it is sweeter.

Comment

I've used it in a Bacon recipe. Works good.

Comment

I use maple sugar in bacon curing all the time, have not tried it in any other rubs or seasonings. Should be good on pork.

Comment

I use maple sugar for both beef jerky and curing bacon. Using it in other rubs sounds like a good idea.
              ​​​​

Comment

honey sounds like a good thing to add to my pork rubs...got me thinking.

Comment

I have just recently used honey powder in a rib rib instead of brown sugar. Seemed to work well. Didn’t use a lot so didn’t notice a lot of honey flavor. Gonna keep experimenting with it. Seems like a good idea.

Comment

If I add any kind of sugar to a rub for use on meat cooked at higher temps (as opposed to things like bacon or jerky), my opinion is the sugar is present less for adding a distinctive flavor and more to encourage browning and to be a carrier for the spices. Once a sugar browns, the delicate flavor is largely lost. Even if a slight sweetness remains, it's mainly that -- just sweet.

I've tried brown sugar vs table sugar in otherwise the same rub. I could taste the difference up front, but IMO there wasn't a big difference in the flavor profile when the meat was done.

What I didn't like about the brown sugar version was it caked up a lot easier than the white sugar version. Caking also been my experience using dehydrated honey and maple sugar.

If I want honey or maple syrup to add a distinct flavor, I will include those ingredients in a glaze to be added at the end of the cook. Or in a sauce served at the table. That's where I think honey and maple syrup will shine at their best.

But I'm certain YMMV (your mileage may vary) on this.
                    Last edited by IowaGirl; July 29, 2019, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great input!

Thanks IowaGirl, that’s what I was looking for. 👍

Comment

I agree with IowaGirl . I now only really use white sugar in my rubs, and I dn't notice a flavor difference when the meat is done AND my rubs don't clump. I do however, finish my dry ribs with Honey Granules from Spiceology. I can truly taste the honey that way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here