Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of our fellow smokers out there make their own meat rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make my own rubs. I have found that my pork rub on ribs works outstanding, but I have been using some of KosmosQ Dirty Bird Hot on top of it.

Comment

Maybe these guys

Click image for larger version

Name:	rub.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	715938

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmmmmm. I must say I do like those briskets and shoulders!

I’ll make my own rubs from recipes on this web site and other I find on the interweb. I live 25 minutes from a bulk food store that has about any spice you can think of.

The only two I buy any more are

McCormick Montreal Steak

McCormick Perfect Pinch Caribbean Jerk

Comment

all home made down to sauce (even though I rarely use it myself),Italian seasoning, even taco or chili seasoning. Leave nothing to chance

Comment

I make my own. But at times I'll use Old Bay or Lawry's seasoned salt. I have been making my own dip powders - mix with sour cream and taco seasonings lately. I do have Simon and Garfunkel mixed up as well.

Comment

• SullysSassySauce
            SullysSassySauce commented
            Editing a comment
            Old Bay and Lawry's are solid choices.
            I really like using oldbay when making foil packets. I toss corn, cabbage, smoked sausage, potatoes, and rutabaga together and throw it on the grill.

There are a few commercial ones that I buy, but I make my own most of the time.

Comment

MMD and Dalmatian is all I use

Comment

I haven’t bought a rub in over six years. Once I discovered AR there was no going back to commercial rubs. Many of mine are modified versions of popular AR rubs - MMD, BBBR, S&G - some are my own creations, guided by the principles of AR!

Comment

For a long time I've been surprised how many buy commercial rubs. With all the debate on cookers costing hundreds to thousands of dollars, expensive meats, debates on woods it astonishing to think you can't make your own rub for pennies compared to commercial rubs. For me a little experimentation goes a long way, it takes only a few minutes to make your own. If all the ones I have made either by recipe or experimentation some have been better than others, but none have been bad. Commercial rubs are almost always loaded with salt, too much most of the time. Most all have the same basic ingredients, when I make my own I get to customize it to my taste.

Comment

I make my own, and sell them commercially too on Amazon and in physical stores.

Comment

I kind of fell into making my own rubs and spice mix. I wanted to make tasso from various internet recipes, so I had to experiment to find the right spice mix for me. When I joined this site I tried Meathead's Memphis Dust for ribs and was hooked. Making my own rubs is all about controlling the salt. Commercial rubs are just full of salt, so if you want to add more flavor you risk over-salting the meat.

Comment

Always make my own!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here