Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of our fellow smokers out there make their own meat rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of our fellow smokers out there make their own meat rub?

So Im curious to see how many of us in the pit make their own rub. Iv tried a few premade store bought rubs but cant seem to rival my own.

I’ve made my own for years, but still use premade ones as well, just for variety and to try them out.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here.

usually make my own. while some store-bought have been good enough, I generally prefer homemade.

Comment

Good subject.

Most rubs are based on salt, pepper, and garlic.

One day, a couple-three years back, I looked in the cabinet and saw that I had about half a dozen different bbq rubs. So, being that sort of guy, I mixed them all together in the largest jar (the John Henry jar). Honestly, it was pretty good! But I don’t think that counts for your question.

I mixed my own chili powder last week, and I’ve mixed other peoples’ suggestions for rubs, but I haven’t sat down with a bunch of herbs and spices and done the little-of-this little-of-that based on my own taste.

Comment

I make my own. Its usually different every time depending what ingredients I have in the pantry.
        Will use premade rubs if I see something that tweaks my interest and the salt content isn't to high.

Comment

I went through a phase a few years back when I made my own, but over the years have found a number of store-boughts for any and everything (steak, brisket, ribs, chicken, etc) that I like well enough. Rufus Teague’s lineup (sauces too) are personal favorites, as is Famous Dave’s. Pit Barrel’s are excellent as well.

Getting lazy in in my old age I suppose.

Comment

I make my own rib rub, fajita rub, and 4 different sauces (recipes are all in here for members). I do really like a few store-bought ones though, Henrik's & Heaven Made Products are my top 2 favorites. PBC's All Purpose is quite good on chicken too, but takes 3rd place in my personal book.

Comment

I have made my own since the early 90's and have one for pork, beef and poultry. Most of the ones you buy are based on salt and you really don't want to use them if you are brining your meat prior to smoking. Meatheads rub is pretty good also.

Comment

Yup, make my own most of the time. Sauces, I’m not a big sauce guy so I mostly buy it for my wife & friends.

Comment

I make the Memphis Dust for ribs and pulled pork and Big Bad Beef Rub for pulled chuck, both based on Meathead's recipes. I also make a modified coffee rub which I enjoy on pork chops. PBC All Purpose is good on chicken.

Comment

• Argoboy
                    Argoboy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do the same I make Meatheads rubs, I don’t use an store bought rubs now.

I have made my own rubs for a long time but any more there are so many commercial rubs on the market that I like. I've been using a lot of the meat church products for pork lately and have always liked Mr Reeds products. For beef I just use salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix my own.

Comment

I've made my own sauces, using recipes from The Barbecue Bible!, but until I came to AmazingRibs.com, I never bothered to make my own rubs, and used commercial rubs. I still get lazy, and keep a big shaker of Bad Byron's Butt Rub, Montreal Steak, and Lawry's Chicken and Poultry Rub in the pantry for those times I either deplete the spice cabinet and cannot mix up one from AmazingRibs, or don't have time. I've only made Simon & Garfunkel, MMD and Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust I think it is called.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cow Crust is some seriously good beef rub, I tend to forget about it and reach for BBBR a lot.

• SullysSassySauce
                      SullysSassySauce commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just made Cow Crust for the first time Sunday for some beef back ribs. Great flavor.

I make my own ... but I’m not ashamed to follow (mostly ) other's recipes.
                    Last edited by MBMorgan; July 17, 2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I use a mix of home made and store bought. Homemade I usually start with a recipe that looks good and over time I tweek it, but it's never the same twice 'cause I seldom write down what I do...

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pork Butt Surprise & Brisket Surprise?

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        "xactly!

Once did, no longer do. (Except for simple SPG types, still make those) There are too many good blends are available. Just my .02, the end result isn’t worth the time or money most of the time.

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You make a great point. On your plate it's all good isn't it? I started out looking at it from a saving money standpoint- $3 worth of spices instead of $12 for a bottle of commercial rub. But some I just can't make myself so spend I shall!

• LA Pork Butt
                        LA Pork Butt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Huskee Also, many of the complicated blends call fo spices I rarely use otherwise. Besides how many different rubs and blends do you really need. Maybe it is MSS instead of MCS.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here