Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of our fellow smokers out there make their own meat rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerrybell
    replied
    I mix my own using other people's recipes. I use Meathead's 3BR for brisket & Simon and Garfunkel for chicken. For pork butt and ribs I like a Danny Gaulden's AP rub I picked up from the internet many years ago.

Leave a comment:

• mrteddyprincess
    replied
    I used to think that the commercial product "Mrs. Dash" was a tremendous waste of time with it containing no salt. Then I read the ingredients and realized it's basically Simon and Garfunkle. I use it a lot on poultry now in combination with brining.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    replied
    IdoIdoIdoIdo, and buy some too.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Cow Crust is some seriously good beef rub, I tend to forget about it and reach for BBBR a lot.

• Attjack
    replied
    Certainly.

Leave a comment:

• MattTheGR8
    replied
    I enjoy the challenge of trying to create my own blends, so I almost always make my own rubs. Lately I've even been working on my own taco seasoning just to see what I can do with it.
    Last edited by MattTheGR8; July 16, 2019, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    "xactly!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Pork Butt Surprise & Brisket Surprise?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    You make a great point. On your plate it's all good isn't it? I started out looking at it from a saving money standpoint- $3 worth of spices instead of $12 for a bottle of commercial rub. But some I just can't make myself so spend I shall!

• Woodson
    replied
    Once did, no longer do. (Except for simple SPG types, still make those) There are too many good blends are available. Just my .02, the end result isn’t worth the time or money most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I use a mix of home made and store bought. Homemade I usually start with a recipe that looks good and over time I tweek it, but it's never the same twice 'cause I seldom write down what I do...

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    I make my own ... but I’m not ashamed to follow (mostly ) other's recipes.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; July 17, 2019, 09:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I've made my own sauces, using recipes from The Barbecue Bible!, but until I came to AmazingRibs.com, I never bothered to make my own rubs, and used commercial rubs. I still get lazy, and keep a big shaker of Bad Byron's Butt Rub, Montreal Steak, and Lawry's Chicken and Poultry Rub in the pantry for those times I either deplete the spice cabinet and cannot mix up one from AmazingRibs, or don't have time. I've only made Simon & Garfunkel, MMD and Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust I think it is called.

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I have made my own rubs for a long time but any more there are so many commercial rubs on the market that I like. I've been using a lot of the meat church products for pork lately and have always liked Mr Reeds products. For beef I just use salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix my own.

Leave a comment:

• bep35
    replied
    I make the Memphis Dust for ribs and pulled pork and Big Bad Beef Rub for pulled chuck, both based on Meathead's recipes. I also make a modified coffee rub which I enjoy on pork chops. PBC All Purpose is good on chicken.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here