Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of our fellow smokers out there make their own meat rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AverageJoe
    replied
    I make my own rubs. I have found that my pork rub on ribs works outstanding, but I have been using some of KosmosQ Dirty Bird Hot on top of it.

Leave a comment:

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    never have bought rub

• bardsleyque
    replied
    I make my own rubs and sauces. I use S&G for turkey,. dalmatian for brisket and beef ribs. Mine is kinda "kitchen sink"(everything but the kitchen sink).

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I usually buy rubs for meats like ribs, pork shoulder and beef. There are so many great ones out there now that it is fun to try new stuff. Generally, I buy from Meat Church, Head Country, Oak Ridge BBQ, Dizzy Pig or Pellet Envy. They all use high quality ingredients and it shows in the final product.

I do make Meathead's S&G rub because it is amazing on poultry and pork. I use it all the time. It is really good on lamb too.

Speaking of lamb, Meathead's Dolly's Lamb Rub Recipe is also a huge winner for the few times per year I make lamb. You gotta give that one a try.

Also use Meathead's pickling spices when making pastrami because I like to get the freshest ingredients possible when putting that much time and oft into a cook. This makes your kitchen smell incredible! His Pastrami rub from scratch is a must as well.

Leave a comment:

• crazytown3
    replied
    I make my own rubs and sauces. For the rubs, I use Meathead's recipes from this site. For the sauces I use recipes from Cooks Illustrated/ATK recipe books. None of them are my own recipes.

I do have a jar of Famous Dave's Country Roast Chicken Seasoning, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I just don't like it. So why do I keep it?

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    Mostly make my own rubs, loosely based on a recipe or combination of a few recipes. They rarely are the same, but usually similar. Started making my own sauces a year or two ago, and now I much prefer that too (except I'll keep some store bought on hand for quick meals).

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I make my own rubs and my own sauces.

Leave a comment:

• Craigar
    replied
    The rub recipe I use I printed off of the internet back in '96 and have bastardized it over the years. This primarily goes on pork products. For chicken we mix it up with a number of different recipes and products. Beef, I don't vary very far off the SPG path with a little heat tossed in for good measure. If I'm feeling really frisky, I will toss some fennel in the SPG.

Leave a comment:

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    Same here.

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee Also, many of the complicated blends call fo spices I rarely use otherwise. Besides how many different rubs and blends do you really need. Maybe it is MSS instead of MCS.

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    I make my own and buy some.

Leave a comment:

• SullysSassySauce
    commented on 's reply
    I just made Cow Crust for the first time Sunday for some beef back ribs. Great flavor.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I typically make my own but not 100%

Leave a comment:

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    I make my own Memphis style rub and sauce.

Leave a comment:

• PrairieWind
    replied
    I make my own salt-free rubs so I can dry-brine when I trim the meat, and apply plenty of flavor later. Raichlen rub recipes work well that way. Julia Child was ahead of her time, as usual: every book includes her all-purpose salt-free pork seasoning recipe, with salt to be used as called for. And, of course, I keep a big jar of Meathead's Memphis Dust on my shelf.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here