Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef and Chicken Fajitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef and Chicken Fajitas

What is your go to recipe/procedure for seasoning beef and chicken for fajitas? Would you cook on a griddle or kettle? Slice in advance or after cooking?

Always cook on the griddle. I slice first and buy fajita seasoning.

Comment

This is my go to recipe for fajitas:

https://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recip..._steak_fajitas

I normally make it with chicken, but have done beef and a combo. Make sure you do make the pickled onions. They the the recipe to another level.

I cook the meat in the kettle and slice after cookin'. That way I can cook beef to medium which is how we like beef.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for posting. Will need to try this out.

i always do it on a grill. Especially with a seasoned that can burn or get bitter.

Comment

Getting skirt tender is the real key to fajitas imo. Nothing worse than biting into a taco only to find the meat resists you like a rubber band. Years ago I had the opportunity to visit with Nifa Lorenzo of Ninfa's Restaurant (a Houston Mexican restaurant icon) and her recommendation was pretty simple, it's all about acid and soy. I've found that in a marinade you need lime and/or lemon juice for the acid (we've also begun to add some orange as well) and a product called Dale's Marinade for the soy. That along with worcestershire makes a dandy marinade. Seasoning is really to taste; salt, pepper, cumin, onion and garlic powders are always in mine.

I personally grill my skirts whole on a hot grill fast and furious, flipping continuously. If you trace back the roots of the fajita, Mexican Vaqueros were given the skirt for their personal consumption around the campfire and they would literally throw them on the hot coals and cook them to tender. Although I don't burn mine (I like a little rareness on the inside) I do go for a good char, it's the Cowboy way !!!!

Comment

I've done it both ways, both are great but IMO steak needs grilled whole. Grill on kettle whole & slice thin later, but I find the seasoning just isn't as pronounced as I'd like. So I'd add more once sliced and stir. Griddle is great too, but if steak it's a little hard to get the perfect doneness when pre-sliced.

Here's my homemade Fajita Seasoning recipe, courtesy of Ernest and bbqoaf helping me years ago with their input.

2 Tbsp chili powder
        1 Tbsp paprika
        1 Tbsp onion powder
        1.5 Tbsp garlic powder
        1 Tbsp ground cumin
        1/2 Tbsp coarse black pepper
        1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
        Pinch (maybe 1/4 tsp?) sugar

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Nutmeg? Interesting

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman yep, it works. I made two batches, one with nutmeg and one without. I was skeptical myself. Nutmeg was better.

Both...
        Chicken I generally do on the griddle. With an off the cuff seasoning, though much like Huskee uses...
        Beef gets grilled. Pretty much start with a carne asada style marinade. As Troutman points out, citrus is a must.

Chicken gets cut up before it's cooked, same with the veg.
        Beef goes on as is and is cut after cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here