Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for blended chili powder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions for blended chili powder?

I'm a big fan of Spice Islands Chili Powder but can't find it in a size larger than 2.4 oz. I see pics of 10.5-oz bottles online but can't find anyone who actually sells it.

Is there a comparable chili powder out there? Do you have any favorites you buy in bulk?

Thanks!

Penzey's Spices. They have Hot and medium. Good stuff.

Comment

I agreed with Ernest Penzey's Spices is good stuff

Comment

I use Tone's. I haven't experimented with 'premium' chili powders. I have bought a few and I like Tone's, it's nto too salty like cheap ones can be but it is vibrant for what I know of chili powder. I think they have it at Sam's but I can't remember. This 20oz jug was $6.58 and lasts me forever considering the price of the tiny bottles can be half that for only 2-3oz this is the way to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6873.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	70406

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I also use Huskee and yes Sam's club do have it. I get my hard to find spices from Penzeys.

• IrondeQuer
          IrondeQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL! That's about what a 2.4-oz jar of Spice Islands runs at the supermarket!

Thanks, all! Maybe I'll give Penzey's a try. I've purchased blends from a local shop and online at Spice Barn in the past but wasn't too thrilled with them.

I might try a small batch of the Tones too. Unfortunately, I have a BJ's membership rather than Sam's. BJ's does carry McCormick's though, which might work too.

Comment

I buy Frontier no salt added chili powder by the pound through Amazon.
          Last edited by mgaretz; March 12, 2015, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I make my own chili powder using the AR recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...li_powder.html. Good stuff!

Comment

• IrondeQuer
              IrondeQuer commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I've seen that recipe. I'm lazy...

I build mine from several different 1oz pouches of various El Guapo powdered chilies, also usually get the powdered oregano from them. Get cumin and Chipoltie in bulk because I use them in other things too. Probably would be better following the Recipie here, but this works thus far..

Comment

Another good spice source is MySpiceSage.com. They have a huge selection, even ground versions, like ground bay leaf for S&G rub, etc., that Penzey's does not. You can get all the ground chilies for the AR chili recipe, plus they have blends as well. Free fast shipping. And you can buy multi-pound amounts if you're having a big rub.

Comment

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                (Doc) Hazard I will also check them out

Here's a recipe for chili powder that I believe I got in a Cook's Illustrated magazine several years back.

It's the only chili powder I use now.

10 TBS Anaheim, New Mexico, or Guajillo powder
              3 TBS Ground cumin
              3 TBS Oregano
              3 TBS Garlic Powder
              2 TBS Cayenne
              2 TBS pasilla or other mild chili powder (I typically use California chili powder.)
              I also add 2 TBS of Gebhardts chili powder. If you can't find it, it'll be fine without it.

Comment

Thanks All! You guys are great!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here