Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbinado sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbinado sugar

I have started using granular turbinado sugar because of less tendency to burn and it is close to the same size as course black pepper and kosher salt. Curious about Meaheads opinion and does it substitute well?
    many times, I just later on salt, pepper, garlic, chili powder and turbinado sugar from shakers. I have a large quantity of pork to cook and want to try Memphis dust pre-mixed.
    ​​​​​​​

I like turninado and use it in my rubs, especially for pork.

Comment

That's what I'm thinking. Was curious about ratio of TS to brown &white sugar in Memphis dust recipe.

Comment

Well. Meathead may have something different to say in regards to the amounts. When dealing with different sugars myself it has been a lot to do more with brewing beer, and there is no difference in amounts with TS compared to brown sugar or "table" sugar aka sucrose. Doesn't hurt to experiment before your large cook.

Comment

Isn’t the difference in sugars the amount of molasses in them? Otherwise they’re mostly he same? I know when I put use to put sugar in my coffee, I much preferred brown sugar in mine.

Comment

My understanding is turbinado is a refined sugar that has some of its natural molasses content remaining. Brown sugars are refined white sugar that has had molasse added back to them, more in dark brown and less in light brown. I've cooked with all three and can't really say I get the difference to any large degree. I wouldn't think any sugar would have a more robust resistance to heat as a rub, but I have no facts to back that up, just conjecture.

Comment

I have started cutting back on the amount of brown sugar in meatheads rub as it has a tendancy to burn easy and from a visual point the ribs too dark. I can get light brown or dark brown here (dark brown is almost black and heavy with molasses). So I just use the light brown. Other mods I do to Memphis dust are extra black pepper, paprika for more color and a touch of ground cloves.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea 1+ on smoked paprika, great eye appeal. Black pepper has always been the seasoning of choice here in Texas, love it !!! Also try celery seed ...

• au4stree
                au4stree commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman, another reason to like celery seeds, they are high in natural nitrates....i.e. smoke ring. Plus I like the flavor they bring to the party.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Bingo !!!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here