Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Rub - No Salt - Not Big Bad Beef Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Rub - No Salt - Not Big Bad Beef Rub

I'm looking for suggestions for a brisket rub, no salt since I dry brine. Meatheads Big Beef is the obvious choice, but my son is not a fan. I've also tried just salt and pepper. Too much pepper for him. He's a bit more into the sweeter rubs, at least thats what it seems like when I do pork.

That said any suggestions that would pair well with beef?

Man...beef and pepper were made to go together! I’d try salt, (less) pepper, and garlic. Personally, not a fan of sweeter rubs on beef. Pork gets all the sweet.

I’ve got a buddy that drenches his tri-tip in honey and brown sugar. He hasn’t made brisket yet, but I’m sure he’d do the same. It’s way too sweet for me, but his family likes it!

Comment

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
      Man...beef and pepper were made to go together! I’d try salt, (less) pepper, and garlic. Personally, not a fan of sweeter rubs on beef. Pork gets all the sweet.

I’ve got a buddy that drenches his tri-tip in honey and brown sugar. He hasn’t made brisket yet, but I’m sure he’d do the same. It’s way too sweet for me, but his family likes it!
      I like the S&P also, but I've had brisket in Kansas City, Jack Stacks was my favorite but the were other that were also excellent, and loved it. It's all good to me. Maybe a KC Style rub minus the salt.

Comment

Try some of this stuff, Black Ops Brisket rub from Oakridge BBQ. I really like it on beef and especially brisket. It's got a little salt in it but it won't overpower a salt brine, I do it all the time as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

This would be my second choice, Meat Church's Holy Cow. This one has more salt so it may not be good if dry brining.

Comment

Try this one without the brown sugar.

As succulent as brisket but with a ready-to-carry bone, this slow smoked beef rib recipe rivals those served at the top BBQ joints in Texas. Unlike the traditional salt and pepper rub, the beef ribs are seasoned with coffee, cocoa, and chile for a bold burst of flavor that perfectly compliments their smoky beef flavor.

Comment

If you want a more herby rub then try ms olearys and cut down the pepper a bit.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...w-crust-recipe

its def different from most brisket rubs but it is delicious. Its not sweet but it def works with beef. Like most i dont find sweet and beef work too well together. Or even try a simple SPOG and compliment with a sauce on the plate.

Comment

Often overlooked, it's hard to beat that good ol, tried an true standby:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Montreal Steak Seasoning.jpg Views:	1 Size:	193.4 KB ID:	683293
              It does have salt, though...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Dadof3Illinois smokin fool I hear yall, Brothers...currently have 3 of th above containers, plus two grinders, one fer table, one fer pit use.
                Oops, another grinder on my desk, at work.
                (An another, hidden in my desk drawer, behind a bottle of bourbon.)

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I especially like the coarse grain MS gives to the meat, it is tried and true. Try a layer of Black Ops underneath a layer of Montreal Steak, killer combo !!!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I very much likeys yer idea, Brother Troutman!
                An, have several lbs. of both, so it's on, this weekend!

Thanks fer yer inspiration!

I go one of two ways, depending on the commercial rub I want to use:

Dry brine with the rub: If the rub contains a lot of salt, you could just dry brine with it. I do that all the time with PBC's All Purpose rub which is quite salty. I also dry brine with Black Ops, Killer Hogs, Meat Church rubs mentioned by others here--any rub which lists salt as its first ingredient.

Dry brine with salt and add rub later: If I want to dry brine with salt and then add a rub, I go with Henrik 's rubs or David Parrish 's rubs which do not have as much salt in them. Using them after dry brining with salt does not make the meat too salty.

Henrik's rubs: Hank's Bonafide Beef Rub, Hank's Signature Rub, Hank's KCRoyale Rub for Pork and Poultry

Dave's rubs: Adrenaline Barbecue Rubs

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; May 23, 2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the mention! And yes, our rubs are less salty. Good stuff.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                For steaks I am a huge fan of Henrik's Signature seasoning. I do a half dry brine, then a liberal amount of Signature and it is perfect (to me)!

A steak seasoning (containing salt) that my family loves is Uncle Chris's Steak Seasoning. Delicious on tri-tip.

Click image for larger version  Name:	81ChIiQrgcL._SY679_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.5 KB ID:	683487

Kathryn

Comment

I dry brine with the whole rub on the meat. It just makes it easier.

I usually use simple 50/50 Salt, Pepper. Or I use Holy Cow or Black Ops. (Both are great rubs)

Comment

Thanks, I think I'm going to give the Black Ops a try. I hadn't really thought of the Montreal Steak seasoning, there a a lot on recipe clones out there and it would be easy to make minus the salt.

Comment

You might find something to your liking from these guys.

NEW LOOK, Same Great Taste! For over 20 years, Heaven Made Products has been providing five-star quality seasonings to your kitchen. Shop All purpose seasonings, BBQ Rubs, Cajun seasonings, Flavored

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Someone gave me a container of that stuff at Christmas and I threw it in the pantry and never opened it. Thanks for the reminder, I may break it out and give it a try. Who knows, maybe I've found a hidden winner.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am a big fan of Heaven Made's stuff. I have about 4 or 5 of their seasonings in my cupboard. My all time favorite is their Amazin' Cajun. Mildly spicy, mostly non-spicy. Works on chicken, pork, steak, morning eggs, salad, soup, veggies, you name it. I practically put that stuff on my cereal! Troutman

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It sound like Tony Chachere's. To be honest, I don't use salt and pepper when cooking on my stovetop any more. I just have a big shaker of Tony's and use that...like on everything. It's my secret pixie dust

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here