Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Salt?

I saw this on Epicurious:

Sounds interesting...

Indeed it does! Wonder when they come up with bacon salt...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Are ya takin pre-orders, or such, yet?

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I'm always taking pre-orders. Tell me what you want, send the money, and I'll get around to filling it someday, in the future like! ;-)

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Brother! Lol!
      Bein's ya ain't raisin no hogs, at present, I'm'a hold off, fer jus a spell!
      Fresh bacon salt is always so much better!

I have yet to find or make a chicken rub that I really like so I just ordered this. It was $13 shipped through Savory Spice so not a big waste of money if I don't like it. Thanks for sharing Ron.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen it, but have not tried it gcdmd. Thanks for the recipe texastweeter I'll give it a shot. Glad to see your comment as I haven't seen you around here much lately.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Got in a fist fight with a. 45. Had me down for a while. Glad to be back CaptainMike

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn, that'll do it! I hope you can still count to ten.

I checked out the web site and also found chiccarone salt. So I ordered both because, chiccarones.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Right.

I have heard of this stuff before. My buddy bought me some Truffle salt and it is insanely good on steaks. I am not sure if it is similar to this or not.

I would be down to try this.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      But which came first, the chicken or the shroom?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I have a headache. LOL. CaptainMike

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      To answer your question CaptainMike the rooster.

That Savory Spice site also has Italian Black Truffle Sea Salt, Truffle Bouillon Cubes, Supreme Shallot Salt, Makrut Lime Sea Salt, and other salts and blends.

Comment

I bought smoked salt before, but actually preferred smoked pepper, there's a limit to how much salt you can put on something before it gets too, well, salty. Imho, that point is a lot higher with pepper.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Point well made, Brother!

When down in Chile for the wedding, I saw probably a dozen different salts. Chileans love their salt!

Comment

The Hardcore Carnivore Amplify has chicken powder in it and that contains chicken fat and chicken broth. The ingredient list is somewhat similar so I would guess it is somewhat similar to the chicken salt.

https://www.hardcorecarnivore.com/co...nivore-amplify I haven't tried it yet but it is on my list one of these days.

Comment

I'll pass on the chicken salt for now. It might be great but it makes me wonder what its actually made of. It has a yellow tint which reminds me of canned chicken broth.

Recently I was in the hospital and I was served chicken broth. Starving as I was, I ate it (drank). It was not very tasty and I got to thinking about the source of the flavor. Chicken fat can be yellow, but there was no fat in the bowls I had. Thus, by deduction, there can be only one source.

Chicken feet! I figure they boil chicken feet to make the broth. They strain out the bones, tendons, and skin. A little of the yellow from the feet leaches into the water and viola, broth is served.

Thus, I further figure that chicken salt must have two ingredients. Salt is obvious. What part of the chicken? Brothers and sisters, it has to be the feet. They probably boil the feet, toenails and all. Thereafter the dry and subsequently grind the whole foot (skin, toenails, bones, and all). Mix it salt and you have this savory (umami) mix. Yuum!

That is my theory and I'm sticking to it. ​​

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the chicken feet you get in real Chinese dim sup places. My wife and I ways eat on dish of them.

• Anton32828
            Anton32828 commented
            Editing a comment
            Chicken feet are the "secret" ingredient for really rich chicken stock. Lots of collagen and flavor, assuming they are cleaned properly first. I’ll pass on grinding them up & eating them though, lol.

I just ordered some red boat salt "from mango wood barrels that held acclaimed Red Boat Fish Sauce" it's supposed to have incredible umami.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Dollar for dollar, you would be wetter of just ordering some fish sauce. It's amazing what a drop or two of that stuff does.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t like fish, but I love fish sauce.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I have fish sauce. My understanding is that the salt they make is an excellent product. I'm going to give it try.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here