Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinegar / Chili Powder Rub and Mop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinegar / Chili Powder Rub and Mop

I'm looking for some recipe help. My Dad only barbecued one thing, chicken. When he came back from Vietnam in 1969 he brought with him an original Portable Kitchen and a chicken rub and mop that he said he got from a guy in his unit, who was I believe, from North Carolina.,

I remember chili powder. I remember vinegar. I have tried for 40 years to replicate the flavor of that chicken cooked on indirect heat with hickory smoke.

Any help in recreating this recipe would be appreciated.

Not enough information. It sounds like an Eastern Carolina type of sauce. I can produce a recipe for one if you'd like. Note, it doesn't have chili powder in it.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I make a great Lexington dip but that's not what I'm looking for.

Just out of curiosity, I googled "carolina bbq sauce vinegar with chili" and got a bunch of interesting hits. Perhaps one will be close to what you remember ...

Comment

I make a NC style vinegar sauce dead simple...

white vinegar
      BBQ rub (I've used MMD and Gates AP Spicy... I add tabasco to the MMD version, or chili flakes)

Shake it up.

Let it sit for at least an hour. Everything has to bloom and merge. If you're not letting whatever you're making with the vinegar sit for a good while, that's likely the problem.

Comment

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        I cannot comment on the use of vinegar but my standard adaptation of MMD is to replace the paprika in the recipe with Hatch New Mexico red chili powder. Hatch chilis have a distinct, delicious chili flavor and depending on your source, you can mix mild, medium, and hot chili powders to get to the heat level desired.

I admire your quest Bkhuna and hope you keep at it. I agree with other posts that it sounds NC. Similarly I had what was known as Diablo Chicken at a local tavern that we tried for years unsuccessfully to duplicate. Was a unique blend of turmeric/tamarind/saffron and an unidentified chili heat source that we could never nail down. Maybe I will rev that search up again. Thanks for the memory jarring post.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here