Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paprika's: How important is variety selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year, I took a class at Savory Spice on BBQ rubs. I got to experiment with maybe 4 or 5 different paprika varieties. Spain, California, hot, sweet, smoked. Depending on how much you use, there is definitely a difference. Different aspects shown in roughly the same rub. Obviously, smoked gives you a bit of smoky flavor. The Spanish was a better rounded flavor than Cali, for me.

Comment

The Meathead Memphis Dust recipe calls for "American paprika" . Has anybody substid Hungarian instead? How'd it turn out?

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in SA and we get Paprika and Smoked Paprika and that's all I've tracked down without looking to hard. I use the plain Paprika and it works well and everyone who eats whatever I prepare always save about how good the rub tastes. As LA Pork Butt says I think you need a refined palate to distinguish the difference.

My palate isn’t as refined as some of yours. I don’t know if I could pick up the differences of paprika’s in a rub. I operate from the perspective of it tastes good on up to excellent and tastes bad on down to terrible.

Comment

I'm thinking I want to give smoked a try in S&G....

Comment

I'm not big on adding smoky flavor to something that I'm already going to smoke, so smoked paprika and even chipotle pepper are not real faves for rubs. But for cooking, I'm down for both.

And Hungarian Hot Paprika? Yum, especially in remoulade along with horseradish and Tabasco (and other ingredients). You can actually taste the three types of heat in one bite.

Rootsman , for Meathead's rubs calling for American paprika I use Hungarian Sweet Paprika. Delicious and colorful.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure others, as well as myself, would be interested in seein yer remoulade receipt, perhaps over here, if ya don't mind sharin it, Doc...

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do, Mr. Bones.

K.

Most of the time, I’ll use both Hungarian sweet and Spanish smoked Pimentón, to round off the flavor some. Over time, I have learned too much of the smoked Pimentón and it overwhelms. Learned this as I’ve cooked Paella and started making various rubs and this way provides a nice balance.

Oh, and Hungarian paprika for Oma’s goulash. Dont even try to add any other type.....she’ll come after you!😂 I learned that as well!

Ill see see if I can find a website I was reading earlier this week that had great info on various Spanish brand Pimentón. Im making Spanish chorizo today and stumbled across a cool read but can’t find it now.

Comment

I use Hungarian sweet. Let the smoker provide the smoke and the hot peppers the heat. Have found Hot Paprika can vary.

Comment

I'm not sure my palate is good enough to distinguish the paprikas, other than the hot or the smoke flavors - at least with grocery store paprikas.

There is a quality spice company in Fort Worth that has been in business since the 1870s - Pendery's. They specialize in peppers and have 5 paprikas for sale: Two American paprikas, two Spanish paprikas, and one Hungarian.

They have a really nice selection of chili powder blends, I need to try some or come up with a blend my own.

If you are looking for Spices, you have come to the right place. Pendery's carries an incredible variety of Spices, from all over the world, at great prices.
              Last edited by 58limited; August 11, 2019, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here