Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paprika's: How important is variety selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paprika's: How important is variety selection?

Curious if anyone has experimented with different types of paprika for their smoked brisket dry rub; smoked, Hungarian, sweet, hot, Spanish? Any noticeable difference in flavor, heat or other nuance? Thanks.

I’m currently experimenting with McCormicks smoked paprika vs regular McCormicks paprika for my rib rub.

Most recommendations say it isn’t necessarily a 1:1 substitute... I’m trying to find a balance I like that may be a blend of the two.

My my last run was about 50/50 and I felt like it had a different profile... maybe a little hotter and not as sweet...

I will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Comment

I did the drill with different paprikas in my rubs and only shied away from some of the more bitter Spanish ones. My wife is an avid gardener and planted her own a few years ago. We dried and smoked them and they are now my favorite for rubs. As with most homegrown produce their flavor is much more intense and rich. Now, for paella I still use hot Spanish paprika because we prefer it in that dish. It really boils down to what you like and what you're looking for.

Comment

I've been playing around with different paprika as well. The only thing I really noticed is the hot paprika truly does add some heat to the equation. Haven't really come to any other conclusions yet. I suspect in a home made rub with lots of other ingredients, it might be hard to distinguish between types, and, regarding smoked, how do you know if the smoke taste you are tasting is coming from the paprika or the smoking process?

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          That's pretty much what I found as well in the end product, especially beef.

I have been using Smoked Paprika for a few years. I think it adds a very subtle smokiness. Recently I've used it on SV Chicken Breasts after I've given them a 1 minute cast iron sear just before serving. I have also wondered about Smoke Powder and wonder what that's like. It doesn't seem to be available in any stores in this area. Maybe it's time to order some?

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Never tried the smoke powder. But I have used smoked pepper and smoked salt to add flavor when using my gasser. The pepper was more versatile, as you had to be careful with the salt lest your food end up too salty. Both worked pretty well though. I've used liquid in jerky marinades with success as well.

I've been using smoked for awhile. I especally like it on grilled potatoes. it gives a hint of smoke which I enjoy.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah, and tater tots too.

I have never noticed a difference. I am more of a Salt and Pepper guy these days but I will throw in some Paprika for color. As I said, I don't really think it makes that big of a difference.

Comment

I think it is all preference but I do notice big differences in paprika. I actually stopped using smoked paprika in my smoker because I didn't love the additional smokiness that it was imparting (but on grilled or roasted veggies, it is a go to). I'm currently on a Spanish paprika kick. In particular, I'll use the bittersweet in my rib rub and some of the hot on a whole roasted chicken.

Comment

I don’t find that store-bought paprika has much flavor except smoke. I prefer to make my own if I want peppery flavor.

Comment

I use smoked paprika all the time. I really like it as a VERY slight sprinkle/dusting on deviled eggs.

Comment

I use the smoked type but am otherwise paprika dumb.

Comment

I sometimes use smoked paprika when I’m not smoking the food and I usually use it in Mexican dishes. Otherwise I just use regular paprika.

Comment

Hungarian paprika is my favorite - a by product of growing up with a Hungarian grandfather! Can’t stand smoked paprika...the only smoke flavor I want in my food is from a live wood fire.

Comment

Paprika is like anything else, you get what you pay for. I spent time in Spain while in the military and the taste of good quality smoked paprika is terrific. Of course, it may not be applicable as a substitute for other styles of paprika. The good stuff might be cost prohibitive also. I have a couple of buddies who cook and we order ours from Tienda.com and split the price. Nothing worse than buying expensive spices only to have them go bad, which they will after opening. Nothing tastes worse than old paprika.

Comment

• Murdy
                        Murdy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I totally agree, spices are one area where cost and quality really correlate.

Now, if I could just convince my wife to let me throw out the old stuff.

On a related note, if you go to the grocery store and by the spice that's just called Paprika -- not smoked or hot or Hungarian or whatever -- what are you buying?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here