Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust

I just made my first batch ever of Memphis Dust. II decided to try it on my upcoming SLC cook and probably the pork butt/pulled pork after that instead of my own signature rub. It's pretty tasty right out of the bowl, I must say. I'm looking forward to trying it.

DEW

Tis very good!!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      The Finishing Rubs from BigPoppaSmokers and SimplyMarvelous taste, well, just like Memphis Dust

It is very good DEW. I had some rib tips last night with the MMD on it and some of Barrister DEW's Rum Molasses Barbecue Sauce on them. They worked well together!!

Comment

DEW it is a great rub.

Comment

Produces great bark, love the texture.

Comment

Hello all! I have made MMD, and have used it voraciously.

I have made a small addition:

Coffee grounds.

It adds a wonderful texture and flavor it the rub, and ppl ask me to make them some to take home.
          Last edited by txcaesar; August 28, 2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

txcaesar how much coffee grounds? SRF's has a some coffee grounds in their steak rub.

Comment

@Jerod Broussard,
              Weber has a coffee rub at Sams and in the search I found this recipe for Coffee Rubbed Ribs with coffee Barbecue sauce and sounds pretty tasty,

Check out this delicious recipe for Coffee-Rubbed Ribs from Weber—the world's number one authority in grilling.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks man. I'm not a big coffee drinker or anything caffeine, but I do love coffee milk, vanilla frappucino, etc...and really dig the smell of coffee. I guess Folgers is the best part of waking up.

I'm trying to think just now how much Memphis Dust I've prepared over the last couple years...

Any guesses?

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                15 lbs

• PaulstheRibList
                PaulstheRibList commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a good guess! I've made at least 75-100 batches (I do it in 4x amounts since we have scaled up #theRibList friendmaking production!

Coffee grounds?? Intriguing. I personally hate coffee in every way (with the exception of tiramisu and red eye gravy), but that's interesting. I could see that giving an extra depth of flavor to the bark, perhaps like an earthy, slightly bitter finish that would work very well with the sweetness and the smoke??

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                txcaesar how much coffee grounds? SRF's has a some coffee grounds in their steak rub.

Jerod Broussard Im sorry I took so long to get back: was in the hospital again damn kidneys, lol. with meathead's recipe, I use about half a cup. you cant taste the coffee per se, its a really good flavor though, and it does add a unique texture

Comment

• mackdaddy
                  mackdaddy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope you are feeling better @txcaesar.If it was a stone, Ouch! Our prayers.

Originally posted by mackdaddy View Post
                Hope you are feeling better @txcaesar.If it was a stone, Ouch! Our prayers.

​thanks mackdaddy ; yeah I have End Stage Renal Disease, so I do dialysis, but got some potassium poisoning: I was playing with sauces and I think i sampled too much of my recipe!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They say that you are growing old when you ask your friends how the are doing and they tell you! We have an old friend 87-88 ?, a retired farmer who has been undergoing dialysis for the past 10-12 years, I believe he is in better overall condition than I am. But then again he didn't go head first down the basement stairs on Jan 24, upper right arm broken in 3 places, neck vertebrae 3 fractures, left arm rotarcuff messed up. I spent Dom 24 Jan to 13 June in a rehab center, where I took the obligitary fall and snapped the left femur. All has been plated, reinforced and otherwise healing, therapy twice a week. Sure as hell slowed up BBQ'ng!

Thanks for the info about adding 1/2 cup to the Memphis Rub recipe, txcaesar . I'm going to give that a try. My kids love coffee rubs on meat.

I'm sorry to hear of your health woes. I hope things get stabilized and that you're back to making sauces and smoking great food real soon.

Wishing you all the best,
                Kathryn

Comment

I might try that next time I make some, how fine of a grind did you use? Only change I made was to add a little ancho powder, since I like a little more of a pepper flavor.

Comment

I am looking forward to trying Memphis Dust for the first time, but I have a problem. The wife is allergic to Garlic. Has anyone tried leaving it out of the recipe? Is there a good substitute for the Garlic Powder?

Comment

• Meathead
                      Meathead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can leave it out. I wouldn't double up on the onion since it can bring a sulfide smell in too large a quantity.

• Siouxfan
                      Siouxfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the input! Think I will be trying it on a pork belly this weekend!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here