Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimayó chiles from New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimayó chiles from New Mexico

I thought this article on chimayó chiles was interesting and I thought y'all might enjoy it too: https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/chimayo-chile-pepper

Some excerpts from the article --

"...people have strong feelings about the flavor of chimayó chiles and chile powder.... It has to much to do with chimayó’s sweetness, which is rare in a hot chile pepper and followed by a long, slow burn that lingers like an interesting house guest, as opposed to the abrupt interruption of a door-to-door salesman. They’re smoky too, and their spice is rated just above that of your average jalapeno....

"The chimayó is what is known as a native or landrace chile, one of several local descendants of the first chiles believed to have been brought to the region by Spanish conquistadors in the 16th century....

"...aficionados warn that it will not taste the same when planted elsewhere. ... For a taste of the real deal, it's best to visit the town. Availability is best after the harvest and drying process, which occurs in late fall into early winter. Be warned: This is an expensive pepper. Powder often sells for around $45 a pound in town...."

The water there is supposed to have healing powers, but I don't know if that applies to the peppers, too.

It's a quaint little town. If you're in NM and not too far away, you could combine it with a visit to Bandoleer National Monument.

Comment

I love vacations where you go from one little obscure but interesting place to the next. Chimayo sounds like one of those places.

Comment

Hmm that's a new one to me, and I love chiles. Gonna have to give it a go!

Comment

There is a pilgrimage to the Santuario de Chimayo on Good Friday every year. Thousands of people make this trip by foot to have the opportunity to visit the church and get the healing powers of the holy dirt.

I highly recoomend a trip to northern New Mexico. For the culture, history, outdoors and of course food. It will not disappoint.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here