Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citrus Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citrus Rub

Anybody got a citrus rub recipe that would go well with pork that they'd be willing to share?

thanx-mac

This is not citrus but is Very Good! Marinade in Roasted Red Pepper Italian Dressing. Also good on boneless pork loin. My Family likes it. Skip

Comment

Thanks Skip, but I'm trying some country style ribs ala "The Lone Wolfe" style. They are rubbed with a citrus rub, smoked, and then braised in a Mandarin Orange/Sriracha glaze. I'm looking to give the rub a citrus background to work with the orange marmalade. Here's one recipe I found online for anybody interested.

Home Recipes Citrus Dry Rub Recipe From chefelaine 6 years ago Add yours - to make Serves 1 A colorful mix of citrus rinds produces a zesty flavored rub that is perfect for grilling beef, poultry, fis...

Comment

Okay Dr. ROK, I have one for you. The evernote one is not robust enough, in my opinion, so I'll put my money where my mouth is:

3 Tblsp. Orange zest powder.
        1 Tblsp. Lemon zest powder
        1 Tblsp. Lime zest powder.
        2 Tblsp. white sugar
        ½ tsp. cinnamon
        1 tsp. chipotle powder
        ¼ tsp cumin
        1 Tblsp. smoked paprika
        1 Tblsp. rubbed sage or thyme powder. Rosemary will work too, as will marjoram.
        1 Tblsp. granulated garlic.

If you can't find the citrus powders, you can make them yourself by zesting 6 oranges, 2 lemons, and 2 limes, then dehydrating the zest, then powdering in a spice or cheap coffee grinder. As the flavor(s) of the rub are fat soluble, you can mix in a bit of oil to make a wet rub, or after salting; you can just smear your ribs with oil before rubbing. Either way, they need to marinate for at least 12 hours before cooking. Oh, by the way, if you choose to make a wet rub, add 2 Tblsp. of sweet chili sauce. I think you will like this one...

Comment

Thanks Strat! Didn't have time to dehydrate any zest, so here's what I did. Zested a lemon, lime, and orange. Figured I just as well use what I had. Used your recipe for the rest using thyme, just cause I like thyme. Put the entire batch on 4 1/4 Lbs of country ribs that had dry brined overnight. Sprayed with canola oil and them massaged them thoroughly to distribute everything. Put in cookshack with about 3 oz of hickory. Going to let them go for a couple hours and then into the oven with the marmalade/sriracha glaze. Will post pics of the finished product.

Comment

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds delish. I look forward to seeing your cook!

Here are the final results:

Date: 2/13/15 Meat: Walmart Country Style Ribs Untrimmed weight: 4.24 Lbs Trimmed Weight: 4.2 Lbs Bone? (Y/N): Some small chunks in the ends of a few of them Smoker: Cookshack Injection: - Dry rub wit...

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here