Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat injecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat injecting

Hi there, newe to the meat injection game but was wondering if anyone tried using Red wine, red wine vinegar, berry ciders as the base for meat injections in Beef or Venison. If so how did it go, or is using acid based a no-no. Cheers

Welcome to The Pit. I don't inject, so I can't help but someone will be along shortly who can.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Same..,I RARELY inject. Beyond that...welcome.

Welcome don’t inject offen I rub my meat. That sounds so wrong

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m so glad an iPad is easy to wipe down. LOL

Our physics and chemistry PhD's will chime in soon - I'm nuclear (with one organic chemistry and microbiology course each). I'd like to know what you've tried with success. I use no salt beef broth with beef roasts and briskets 50/50 of the time. Butter injections with poultry (love it). I've got a rum & maple I want to use on pork - maybe tomorrow (it might be pouring in the morning).

Anyway - I have injections, and broths, and homemade chicken-bone stocks heavy on carrots, onions, celery have been good for me on game birds and capon. Wine just seems 'wrong' to me. I don't see it complementing 'juiciness' but evaporating out and maybe causing more dryness in the process. I wouldn't try it on a good $$ cut. Pick something up 'day after' expiry at the local grocery and try some 3-buck Chuck for the trial run.

and let us all know if you do...

Comment

You would think that wine being injected into meat would give veins of red colors throughout the injection points. Maybe if you reduce the wine? Maybe in a broth solution? To me red wine when reduced still gives a strange taste to red meats.
      Think I’ll just drink it in a glass and let the meat flavors shine through by themselves
      with wine, there are some many different flavor profiles that it would be hard to just grab a bottle and inject and cook with it. But interesting thought

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you, drink it with your tasty beef don't inject it into the same.

Well, I don't have the chemical knowledge to explain it, I'm just not a big fan. I've left the meat in a red wine brine too, but it takes days for it to make even the smallest footprint (tastewise). Injecting would speed it up, but for some reason I just don't like all that acidity in my meat. Again, no scientific explanation, just personal experience.

And, before I forget, welcome to the pit!

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, you can change it by simply visiting https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all paying USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

I use injections, different one's for different meat's I'll have to agree with others wine would not be my choice.

Comment

I like to use ingredients that I know how they taste after cooking. If you cook down butter for a long while it still tastes like butter although not as strong. If you cook down wine such as I usually do with my mushrooms and onion saute for steaks you will find that after the alcohol flashes off that the taste is very subtle compared to wine. To your point on acidity, meat protein is already acidic. The longer you heat an ingredient the more chemical compounds will break down and change. Try putting a test cup in the pit for 10 hours or so and see if you want that ingredient in your injection. It will not have the exact same effect as mixing in with the compounds of the meat but you may like what you see ....or not! Smoke would not combine with any injection since it is only on a small amount of the outside of the meat as per Meathead's book. Make sure you cover it so smoke does not change the compounds in the wine. I would be very curious to see what it comes out like. Think I will try based on your question myself, meanwhile I will be sampling the uncooked variety at great length!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here