Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC All Purepose Rub sans Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

"if you have time I wonder if you could compare the sans salt to pbc ap rub? I would be curious to see what you think?"

jecucolo - Actually, I wasn't planning to mix up a "sans salt" batch right away. When I do, I'll be happy to do the comparison.

In case someone wants to beat me to it, here's what I'd do:
      1. Dry brine using only salt for half the thighs and using PBC AP rub for the rest of the thighs..
      2. Just before cooking, apply the "sans salt" rub to the salt-only brined thighs; do nothing more to the AP brined thighs.
      3. Cook them all on the Grilla at the same time and therefore under the same conditions.
      4. Eat ... using the taste comparison to consume more than usual.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; September 28, 2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like the perfect game plan, Mike. Let us know how it turns out for you when you get around to giving it a go.

I'm such a huge AP Rub fan, and a salt-free version that tastes the same on pre-dry-brined meat would be great.

K.

Cool! I am cooking brisket and chicken for my daughters baby shower party Saturday. I am all prepped and ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jecucolo View Post
        So I made up a larger batch of All Purpose Rub Sans Salt and cooked up some chicken thighs. I dried brined using 1/2 teaspoon per pound. I must say it was dang close to the Pbc All Purpose Salt Rub! Very happy with it! I sure hope some of my pbc friends will try it and let me know what you think. It has a very similar flavor w/o the heavy salt!

Oregano Flakes 4 Tbls
        Minced Garlic 1 1/2 tsp
        Onion Flakes 2 Tbls
        Paprika 2 Tbls
        Thyme flakes 1 1/2 tsp
        Cayenne 1 1/2 tsp
        Black Pepper 1 1/2 tsp

when you mix it up you want to break up the flakes a bit but don’t turn it into powder.
        Thanks for doing the legwork on this, jecucolo . I'm waiting for MBMorgan to do his scientific side-by-side comparison.
        It's collaborative stuff like this that really makes me love the Pit.

Kathryn

P.S. I see you bailed on using the Torula Yeast

Comment

• jecucolo
          jecucolo commented
          Editing a comment
          That will be sans salt 1.1! Boing!

So after a few cooks I adjusted the recipe and added the torula yeast. I felt the oregano and paparika was a little strong. I also decreases onion flakes a little. I also did a little test sample adding salt back in the rub. I know I am missing something on color comparison. When I add salt back in they taste pretty close. Both tast like salt with a hint of seasoning. It is amazing how much salt is in the rub.

Anyway here is AP Rub Sans Salt 1.1
        Oregano 4 teaspoons
        Minced Garlic 1 teaspoon
        Onion Flakes 3 teaspoons
        Paparika 1 teaspoons
        Thyme 1 teaspoon
        Cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon
        Black pepper 2 teaspoons
        Torula Yeast 1 teaspoon

You want to grind the flakes a little. About 5 seconds in coffee/spice grinder.

If anyone gives it a try let me know what you think
        Last edited by jecucolo; October 13, 2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

So after a few cooks I adjusted the recipe and added the torula yeast. I felt the oregano and paparika was a little strong. I also decreases onion flakes a little. I also did a little test sample adding salt back in the rub. I know I am missing something on color comparison. When I add salt back in they taste pretty close. Both tast like salt with a hint of seasoning. It is amazing how much salt is in the rub.

Anyway here is AP Rub Sans Salt 1.1
          Oregano 4 teaspoons
          Minced Garlic 1 teaspoon
          Onion Flakes 3 teaspoons
          Paparika 1 teaspoons
          Thyme 1 teaspoon
          Cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon
          Black pepper 2 teaspoons
          Torula Yeast 1 teaspoon

You want to grind the flakes a little. About 5 seconds in coffee/spice grinder.

If anyone gives it a try let me know what you think
          I just found this thread and used your recipe except the Torula Yeast, which I did not have. Put it on chicken thighs and it turned out great and this may be my new go to rub. Making a batch to keep on hand now. Thanks for the recipe testing!

Comment

• jecucolo
            jecucolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Thanks that made my day. Glad you liked it.

They were so good I almost forgot to take a picture until there was only one left!
          Attached Files

Comment

• jecucolo
            jecucolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! I know how you feel I have great intentions to take pictures but when it’s ready I just feel pressure to serve the food. Anyway thanks for sharing the picture!

I was still not satisfied with the last tweak on the Sans Salt All Purpose Rub. This one is really close.

Oregano Flakes 1 teaspoon
          Minced Garlic. 2 teaspoons
          Onion Flakes. 3 teaspoons
          Smoked Paprika. 1 teaspoon
          No Salt Lemon pepper 2 teaspoons
          Powdered Thyme. 1 1/2 teaspoons
          Cayenne. 1 teaspoon
          Black Pepper. 2 teaspoons
          Turula yeast. 1 teaspoon

This was probably my best chicken I’ve made.
          i ran the PBC at 345, lit the coals using 10-10-10
          method, places 2 chunks of cherry and 3 chunks of pecan after the 10-10 mark. The chicken had a beautiful mahogany color and great smoke flavor. I also placed a couple of links of Italian sausage in the Pbc to increase the fog.

Comment

Thanks for posting again jecucolo . I was just getting ready to try your rub recipe this morning. Perfect timing.

Comment

• jecucolo
              jecucolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me know what you think.

I was just wishing for a recipe like this over the weekend! Where did you find torula yeast? Amazon had hickory smoked TY but it wasn’t prime or free shipping.

Comment

• jecucolo
              jecucolo commented
              Editing a comment
              I actually don’t think the TR makes much difference. I bought it on amazon. I just made a batch and my TR is the smoked hickory version.
              Last edited by jecucolo; August 4, 2019, 10:16 AM.

I was still not satisfied with the last tweak on the Sans Salt All Purpose Rub. This one is really close.

Oregano Flakes 1 teaspoon
            Minced Garlic. 2 teaspoons
            Onion Flakes. 3 teaspoons
            Smoked Paprika. 1 teaspoon
            No Salt Lemon pepper 2 teaspoons
            Powdered Thyme. 1 1/2 teaspoons
            Cayenne. 1 teaspoon
            Black Pepper. 2 teaspoons
            Torula yeast. 1 teaspoon

This was probably my best chicken I’ve made.
            I ran the PBC at 345, lit the coals using 10-10-10 method, placed 2 chunks of cherry and 3 chunks of pecan after the 10-10 mark. The chicken had a beautiful mahogany color and great smoke flavor. I also placed a couple of links of Italian sausage in the PBC to increase the fog.

When you say that you added salt back in (Post #36) and did a side by side tasting of this rub vs the PBC AP rub, How much salt did you add back in, do you recall, jecucolo . I'm curious.

A couple of days ago I made Vortex wings with PBC's AP Rub (which I love on chicken) but they were just this side of being too salty for us, and I'm a huge salt lover. The PBC product is great on a big chicken, but the salt in it is too concentrated for the little bitty wing drumettes and flats.

I'm thinking about giving your recipe a try next time.

I'll try Henrik 's and David Parrish 's rubs on my next wings cook too. I like them a lot on chicken because they taste great and the salt content is lower.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post

When you say that you added salt back in (Post #36) and did a side by side tasting of this rub vs the PBC AP rub, How much salt did you add back in, do you recall, jecucolo . I'm curious.

A couple of days ago I made Vortex wings with PBC's AP Rub (which I love on chicken) but they were just this side of being too salty for us, and I'm a huge salt lover. The PBC product is great on a big chicken, but the salt in it is too concentrated for the little bitty wing drumettes and flats.

I'm thinking about giving your recipe a try next time.

I'll try Henrik 's and David Parrish 's rubs on my next wings cook too. I like them a lot on chicken because they taste great and the salt content is lower.

Kathryn
            Try using the PBC rub as your base layer (and brine) and combine with either Rocky's Rub or a Not Just For Beef rub however you like (you can even mix all three together). I have never done this before with PBC rubs but I have found our rubs generally blend REALLY well with AP rubs.

Here's a link with AR credit for anyone that's not familiar.

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know, Dave. Thanks!

K.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I just dry brined a chicken today with a mixture of your Not Just for Beef rub and PBC's AP rub. I'm eager to see how it turns out tomorrow. Your rub has a beautiful color to it, so I'm sure I'll also have a pretty bird in addition to a tasty one.

Kathryn

I have used as a small base and added other ingredients and love my new rub on ribs Although it still has salt it is minimal

Comment

Picked up this:
              Great tasting, versatile seasonings and breadless breadings formulated to enhance the flavor of any dish - Certified Paleo, AIP, Whole30 Approved, Low-FODMAP

enjoying immensely. Have never had PBC all purpose, but based on ingredients, this looks like an acceptable substitute. I'm not low salt, so I put on a base coat of APL 4 Seasons... but it makes some tasty chicken and pork.

Comment

fzxdoc Give Redbeards #8 a try for wings. It's got some similarities to the PBC AP, and is really nice on wings. I tried it on a rack of ribs and thought it needed a layer of SPG to work there, but it's got just enough salt to work on un-drybrined wings. They also have a Jalapeño hot sauce that makes a really nice wing sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here