Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC All Purepose Rub sans Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC All Purepose Rub sans Salt

So I really like the PBC All Purpose rub. My only problem is sometimes the high salt content over powers the flavors. I inquired at the PBC web site if they had any plans to make the rub sans salt. They said not now. I am thinking about attempting to creat the rub without salt. So I wondered if any of my PBC friends have any suggestions as what spices they think are in the All Purpose rub? Let me know your suggestion.
    Thanks
    Joe

Originally posted by jecucolo View Post
    I inquired at the PBC web site if they had any plans to make the rub sans salt. They said not now.
    It's likely 50% salt, which is cheap as rocks, so making an all spice version would be prohibitively expensive.

Does it not have ingredients on it, or does it go with "Spices and herbs."

Comment

Spices and herbs is all it says.

Comment

I dry brine with it. I let my butts sit for 3 days. Works great. Love that stuff.

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          What Rub do you use after that on the butts or whatever else you are brining with?

I as well do like to use it on chicken, very lightly though, I agree it gets salty fast. But there has to be someone on here who is smart enough to reverse engineer that rub!

Comment

I do love that stuff, nice bold flavor, but it is a bit salty.

Comment

Another rainy day so I am on the mission. The back says salt spices sugar paprika Tarula yeast dehydrated garlic dehydrated onion.

when I put the smell test to it it reminds me of chicken bullion.

Comment

Like Jerod Broussard , I dry brine with the AP rub. Works great. Because the spices are already on top of the meat/poultry after the salt is drawn in, no additional rubs are needed for our tastes.

I too wish PBC had a no-salt version of the AP rub. I like controlling the amount of salt added to the meat. Nothing is worse than spending the time smoking something that turns out almost too salty to eat, which can happen with salt-laden rubs.

I wish the same for Tony Chachere's Cajun spice. TC's No Salt version has potassium chloride as the replacement for sodium chloride. Yuck. I hate the taste of potassium chloride. Why can't they just make a version with no salt, period?

Kathryn

Comment

For what it's worth, here's a comparison of the label sodium content of the PBC rubs with Morton Kosher Salt.

Kosher Salt - 480mg/¼tsp
                PBC AP Rub - 160mg/¼tsp
                PBC B&G Rub - 310mg/¼tsp

I don't think there's anything in the rubs that contains sodium other than salt, so this is a reasonable measure of the salt content of the rub by volume.

I don't much care for either of these rubs, so the bottles I have came with my PBC over 4 years ago, it's entirely possible that they've changed the rub formulas since then.

Comment

So so let’s start by eliminating the spice that is definitely not tasted in the rub. Here is a list of spices. I am not that adept at recognizing herbs/ spices.

tablespoon garlic
                  • teaspoons dried basil
                  • dried parsley
                  • dried savory
                  • ground thyme
                  • ground mace
                  • onion powder
                  • ground black pepper
                  • dried sage
                  • cayenne pepper​​​​​​​

Comment

• Nate
                    Nate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A lot of AP rubs start with a base of Salt, Pepper, & Garlic...
                    I wouldn’t discount onion.
                    Not sure what they are using for the little kick it has.

There's got to be plenty paprika with the coloration it gives.

Comment

• JGo37
                    JGo37 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What the heck is Paprika? Isn't Paprika almost like American Chile Powder? Made of an unknown secret variation of peppers? Or am I way off?

Garlic
                  onion
                  Oregano
                  paparika
                  cayenne
                  Last edited by jecucolo; September 22, 2018, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They told me no sugar on the ingredients list.

Ok so we are getting warm

Comment

• johnec00
                    johnec00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    With magnifying glass, looks like there's some black pepper. Tastes like there could be a little cumin.

To be honest I've laid it on really thick and never picked up on any Cayenne/Red Pepper.

Comment

• sos2979
                    sos2979 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe chipotle powder for the kick instead of cayenne.

Do you taste any sage or rosemary?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I HATE Rosemary so nothing there. Not sure on sage.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here