Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prague Powder #1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague Powder #1 question

I am going to give making corned beef a shot. When I follow MH's link to Amazon to get Prague Powder #1, I see HUGE price differentials (adjusting for the amount). Is there a difference? Does anyone have a particular preference, and if so, why? Thank you, in advance.

I have the 1 pound edition. If you not doing much, less will fit the bill. I smoke sausage sometimes.

Comment

Not sure if it has a shelf life? I'd buy based on how much you think you're going to use. Buy plenty extra to have on hand for future projects. Pretty sure it lasts indefinitely, but those wiser than me will surely provide additional feedback.

Comment

Thank you both. My question is centered more on the vast price/unit differential. Is one as good as another? Any brand preferences?

Comment

I have the Hoosier Hill. As long as it is #1 you should be good. (there is a #2 joke somewhere in here)

Comment

If there are major differences in price, there may be differences in concentrations i.e. use 1 tsp per pound vs use 1/2 tsp per pound.

Comment

They should ALL be 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% table salt. If not, they ain't #1.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know!

That is GOOD info, thanks Jerod!

Comment

Yes, that is great info, Jarod! Thank you very much - I'm going with the brand you have!

Comment

I bought the cheapest available on Amazon and had good results, if that helps you any

Comment

i searched at four different places trying to find this stuff. Zero luck. Guess I going to have to order it.

Comment

I got my first batch at a Williams Sonoma. Not the cheapest place, but you don't really need that much.

Comment

Question for you: when you look at those price differences, are you taking shipping into account? For example, the "cheapest" one on Amazon right now is about $5 for a pound... but then has $6 in shipping added on to it. So really, it's $11/pound. And there's no "free shipping on orders over $35" on that one. Meanwhile, I see one that's $18 for two pounds, which at first seems like twice as much per pound as the cheapest. But it has the free shipping option, so when you factor that in, it's actually $2/ln *less* than the "cheapest".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here