Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanks' Bonafide Beef Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanks' Bonafide Beef Rub

I finally got my bottle on Friday. Short review? "Damn, That's good stuff."

Longer review:
    Opened the bottle, and... Cumin. And then pepper, and garlic? Something citrusy? Anyway, kinda seems like something I'd mix up for a trip-tip
    Since nobody had any good Beef cuts for BBQ on sale this week, I pulled a two bone portion of Choice back ribs out of the freezer, dry brined 'em for a few hours and then rubbed 'em down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3915.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	556096

One minor criticism, the big chunks of pepper settle even while you're putting the rub on. Shake often.

Threw 'em on the Weber @ 225 with some cherry, and threeish hours later they were probe tender, nice bark, etc.

Name:	IMG_3916.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	556094

Name:	IMG_3917.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	556095

I seem to have done my part, but has Henrik done his?

In a word: Oh, hell yeah. The rub really accentuated the beef flavor of the ribs without trying to dominate. Nothing smacks you in the face, nothing over the top. It's just there, doing exactly what it should be doing. Making beef taste good.

Bravo, Henrik. That's a bonafide hit right there.

Thank you for trying it out, and thanks for a great review! Amplifying the beef without taking over is what I intended, so it’s great to hear your feedback. I’ll take the pepper remark into account. It’s always a trade off, I really like the coarse ground pepper for various reasons.

Oh, and those ribs look great!

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep the course ground pepper. We can shake often if we have too! (Says the guy who hasn't purchased his yet but loves course ground pepper so he weighed in anyway!) 😆

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mudkat!

Last night we had hamburgers with Hank's Beef Rub. Excellent!! Hank's Pork Rub arrives this week.

Comment

Pretty much what I thought. Flavor without overpowering. This is great stuff.

Comment

It looks great! Great cook and review!

Comment

Got a bottle coming! Should arrive in time for a meating on Friday!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here