Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubs/Sauce Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubs/Sauce Recommendations

When I'm too lazy to make my own rubs and sauces, I buy them from Sprouts' pretty expansive selection. Being relatively new to the site, and just ordered my 1st pellet smoker from Rec Tec, I was wondering about members preferences if you buy from sites like Rec Tec, Grilla, GMG, etc.

Never bought from them myself. However if I may offer another online supplier suggestion- I am a big fan of Heaven Made Products' rubs. Higher umami than most commercial rubs and lower salt. They are hands down my personal favorite commercial rub maker. Haven't tried their rib rub though.

Comment

• Jefft54
      Jefft54 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll check them out

I like Pit Barrel's All-Purpose Rub cause it's loaded with salt and I can dry brine with it on pork butts. Cheapest BBQ sauce at wolly world takes care of me.

Comment

I absolutely love love love Harry Soo's Jailbird chicken rub. PBC's all purpose rub is great too as Jerod mentions. You just gotta balance them if you're going to dry brine using salt or the salty rubs. I love all of Meathead's rubs too. I use them when I dry brine with salt only.

Forgot to mention our current favorite sauce is Blues Hog's original.
      Last edited by Rod; July 19, 2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

For commercial sauces, I generally use either Bullseye Original or Sweet Baby Ray's. About the only commercial rub I use is the already-mentioned PBC All Purpose ... but you've got to be careful with it because it's REALLY salty.

Comment

favorite sauce is Blues Hog mixed with Blues Hog Tennesse Red sauce far and away my favorite. Rubs #! salt and pepper .
          Next comes BBQ butcher, Killer Hogs , Head Country, Plowboys yardbird and bovine.

Comment

I absolutely love the Blues Hog sauces, but when I am in a pinch or not wanting to "waste" the good stuff I will use Sonny's BBQ sauce in a jug I buy at Sam's Club, or Sweet Baby Ray's.

For rubs, about the only commercial ones I use are a big shaker of Montreal Steak seasoning I buy at Sam's Club, for pretty much all beef (burgers, steaks, and brisket), and for pork butt. ribs, chicken and even veggies I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, which I can find around here at Kroger/Walmart or buy in a big bottle at Sam's Club and Costco. I've also used and like the Lawry's Chicken/Poultry rub. Butt Rub is very salty, so if I use that, I don't bother with a dry brine.

I keep a quart mason jar mixed up of Meathead's Memphis Dust but only use that for ribs.

Comment

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              Butt Rub is great stuff! I've also been liking Famous Dave's' Rib Rub and the Pit Barrel AP rub for pork.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              mnavarre I will have to try the Famous Dave's rub if I see it. And one of these days I just might get a PBC and some of their rub!

I cannot justify spending over $8 a bottle for BBQ sauce. I love Blues Hog sauce, but the price is too high as I cannot buy it where I live. Anyone recommend the cheapest place or way to purchase it?

Comment

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Amazon.com. I buy a half gallon of each. Mix when I need them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.PNG
Views:	168
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	540633 The best commercial rub I've ever had was Johnny Trig championship Meat Rub. I believe the only place to get it is from the shipping supply company Uline. I used to be able to get it free at my last job since we ordered supplies from Uline and it was something they would send you if you ordered enough supplies.

Comment

for sauce. Robs Smokin Rub. Voted best on the planet in 2017 and 2018. For rubs Oakridge BBQ.....damn good stuff.

Comment

Rubs come from Oak Ridge BBQ and sauce comes from Blues Hog. I've been known to buy Sweet Baby Ray's too. I gotta buy both online nobody around here carries either. Actually been thinking about becoming a distributor for both as the wife and I have a distribution company and deliver to local grocery stores already. Someday I'll look into it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here