Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tart Cherry Juice as an injection??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tart Cherry Juice as an injection??

Hello,

Looking in my refrigerator I couldn’t help but wonder if tart cherry juice could be used as a base for an injection in a pork butt like apple juice is. Anyone every tried it, or have any ideas why I should or shouldn’t try it?

Sounds like that would be delicious and nutritious

Comment

Well, I’m readin yer title & thinkin, wow, I don’t know man. I mean I like cherrys, a lot but....then I read the thing about pork butt, I get it man, I get it.

Comment

Sounds tasty as all git out, sure don't see any reason not to try it!

Comment

Why not! The internet demands you do this then report back!!

Comment

I would be concerned about overriding the pork flavor with the cherry flavor. If I were interested in using the tart cherry juice, I might reduce it on the stove to concentrate it and thicken it up a bit, and then brush it on as a glaze towards the end of the cook, like after the stall.

Comment

I like PKB's idea. However, I am also curious to see how this would go. Thankfully, shoulders are relatively cheap. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Comment

Yep, I like PKB's idea too, but I'm gonna give away some secrets. I 'scrub' pork pretty hard with lime wedges, just like it's a brillo pad, before I move on. I inject with apple vinegar and brush with mustard before dry rubbing to set the taste of the bark. I usually rub with a concoction of maple and bourbon of some sort to offset the apple vinegar.

Not sure how sour cherry would work with that - you're obviously not referencing maraschino or Rose's; what's your source of 'tart cherry juice'?

Comment

I'd water that juice down, but give it a shot and see what happens.

Comment

Sounds good! I wouldn’t water it down, it’ll mix with meat juices anyway and become diluted. I inject higher concentration to max out that flavor.

Comment

Ok guys, I have an 8.9 lb butt going on Monday night, I’ll be injecting using the tart cherry juice as the base, rub yet to be determined, and then I’m gonna try and reduce some of the cherry juice in the morning and use it as a glaze. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out Tuesday!

Comment

I think it would be pretty good - I would almost want to use it as an injection for pork loin - and use the drippings as a reduction sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here