Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White bbq sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its fantastic on fried chicken

Comment

I live here in Alabama about 30 miles from the source where the white sauce was supposedly invented at Big Bob Gibson's over in Decatur. I can buy it in the local grocery stores, so have never bothered making it up myself, but imagine the recipe Meathead gives is close. You either love it or hate it. Mayo and vinegar base, so if you don't like mayo, you won't like this sauce. I often serve it on the side with grilled chicken, but don't paint it on there like I would normal sauce, since not all in the family care for it.

Comment

I know a lot of people really like it but I never really cared for it. I thought I would, but didn't. Had it at Bob Gibson's in Decatur and also tried the sauce at Ted's in Huntsville and the bottled stuff at the grocery store. I really wanted to like it but didn't.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm right there with you. I didn't hate it, but it's just not my thing.

So from the responses I'm assuming it's mainly used on chicken, not pork, beef, fish, etc?

Comment

• kamadoRob
          kamadoRob commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah basically. I have used it on pork and it's good but it really compliments chicken. I may have to try it on fish though.

In California 'Lillie's Q' sauces are on sale at Albertson's for $4.99 so I picked up their Ivory sauce. Haven't tried it yet but I've been impressed with their other sauces.

I tried a home made version from a recipe and didn't like it. My dad was from Bama and I was raised on Alabamy wedding cake (cornbread), grits & buttermilk. I feel like I must find a way to come around and like this stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LQ_Ivory_5L1A0407_grande.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.3 KB ID:	522797

Comment

We like this sauce on chicken and everyone who has tried it likes it on chicken, it grows on you is how I would describe. I just made a second batch and it does not seem as thick? I think a thicker sauce would be better?

Comment

I'm going to have to try this. One of my wife's specialties is White Chili and she orders pizza with white sauce, so I'll have to try it for her.

Comment

the white is because it's a mayonnaise based sauce. So the white comes from the emulsification. so you can play with it. or make your own Mayo as the base for the white. Myself, I love to make Mayo with some of the oil from my cook. makes for a GREAT mayo on sammiches later on.

Comment

I’ve made it a few times, used Steve raichlins recipie, only on chicken, family loves it, grill up some drumsticks n dunk em right in there!

Comment

Steven Raichlen's tangy white barbecue sauce has vinegar, mayonnaise, and black pepper, plus a blast of spicy horseradish. It gives a zing to dinner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here