Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimmichurri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimmichurri

So recently my best friend and compadre brought me some ribs his dad made. They were awesome. Not our traditional American smoked style, but Argentinian. Which would make sense as he's from Argentina. It was such an awesome flavor and I know he had chimmichurri on them as well as various other seasonings. Anyway, long story short...my BEST FRIEND refused to give me the recipe for the chimmi. Saying it's a family secret etc.... Needless to say I both understand 100% and am completely offended and upset. I tried tonight to make some chimmi, but it just doesn't taste the same. It doesn't taste authentic.

This is the recipe I followed:
    For the Chimichurri Sauce:
    • 1 cup fresh parsley
    • 1 cup fresh cilantro
    • ¼-1/3 cup olive oil
    • ½ medium onion, diced
    • 3 garlic cloves
    • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • ½ teaspoon pepper
    • Optional: ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    I cannot for the life of me remember the member's name that does awesome bbq down in Argentina (with awesome photography as well). Not sure if he might have a really good chimmi recipe or if anyone else might...but while this one was good...it wasn't as good as the one I had recently. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Ahumadora I remembered!! Please help me on my quest!!

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      JakeT Your recipe above looks pretty good and chimi's vary a lot by who's making them or what local ingredients you have. Maybe let it sit in the fridge a few days to help bring out the flavor. I don't use it that much and have a bottle of store bought that has been in the fridge for 6 months. I prefer salsa criolla more. (Bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, vinager, olive oil, salt/pepper

Working with a few guys from South of the border I have found out thru them that they do not add a lot of ingredients to their recipes like we do. I have also discovered that most of what they cook and make taste better than the versions that we come up with. HouseHomey May also be able to help you be is a awesome chef

Comment

• JakeT
      JakeT commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah talking to my buddy I wrung a loose version of the recipe out of him. The ingredients I got anyway. Just parsley, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, onion. Ill have to play around with the proportions and see what I can get!

This isn't Argentinian, but we have really enjoyed this Cuban variant:

This fresh Cuban sauce wonderfully complements steak, but pour it over a burger, and your taste buds will thank you! —Elaine Sweet, Dallas, Texas

Comment

Meathead has a good chimichurri recipe https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...i-sauce-recipe

The recipe I like comes from this site https://kalynskitchen.com/grilled-flat-iron-steak-with/ . I like the aleppo pepper and the cumin in it.

Whichever recipe I use, before chopping, I microwave the peeled garlic for about 30 seconds to take away the harsh bite. I learned that from Cooks Illustrated. Works great.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        A toaster oven works great on garlic pieces too. I love cumin. I toast the cumin seeds and grind. Yum

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know, HouseHomey. Hadn't thought of toasting cumin seeds for the chimichurri, but you can bet your britches that I'll be doing that the next time I make it. Thanks!

K.

Over the last couple of years I have found that a great chimmichurri is just like a great rub, BBQ sauce or salsa. It's very much a personal taste thing. Notice 1/2 the recipes have cilantro and others don't.

Lots of people are acid shy too. Me, I'll sell my body for acid... load it up.

been under the weathe but I'll post my soon. It's very simple but I think tasty.

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I definitely get that. Look forward to seeing your recipe. I'm the same way with acid and salt too. Though my doctor doesn't agree.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Many claim that true chimmichuri does not use cilantro. There is also a segment of the population that find cilantro to taste metallic or soapy. It’s a genetic thing. Try a straight parsley version.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        HorseDoctor straight parsley is fantastic. Honestly the curly parsley has amazing flavor but all the fuss these days is on the flat leaf. Parsley and tarragon rock. Especially in a proper Green Goddess.

Here's one from the Old Stone Church restaurant that used to be in Castle Rock, CO. It's a restaurant-sized batch that needs to be scaled down but I've had it many times and it's excellent ... well worth the effort:

Old Stone Church Chimichurri dipping sauce

Ingredients:
      • 1 tsp fresh garlic
      • 2 tsp Kosher salt
      • 2 tsp Black Pepper
      • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
      • 1/3 cup Sweet Chile sauce
      • 1/2 bunch parsley tops
      • 1/2 bunch cilantro tops
      • 1 bunch green onions
      • 10 big leaves basil
      • 2 cups Olive oil

Cooking Instructions:

Puree all ingredients in blender. Slowly add good olive oil and blend until smooth.
      Serve with heated pita bread cut into triangles.

Edited: to add the fact that this is intended to be a fairly thin dipping sauce.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; June 8, 2018, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmm the pita bread triangles is a great idea!

Wow. Sounds like a good recipe, MBMorgan . Is it thin enough to pour easily out of a spouted oil bottle?

Kathryn

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        As I recall, it was indeed thin enough to pour pretty easily. If it's not thin enough to pass through a spout, you could probably cut it with a bit more olive oil.

Mike

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Mike!
        K.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Doc I'll post mine this weeekend. Just saw my schedule and I have the weekend off. Whoohoo!!

My preferred chimichurri is from Francis Mallmann. Very easy recipe to find on the internet and delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here