Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storing rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing rubs

Happy New Year everyone. I don't believe I have seen anything about containers for storing batches of rubs. What are the best ways to store rubs and keep them fresh?

Thanks in advance,

Guy

Good question, I have most of mine stored in bottles stoppered up or in mason jars. For my rub test I just put them in ziploc bags since I could mix them right in the bag, I can tell you those don't work well, smells up the whole place. Interested in hearing some alternatives.

Comment

John, I agree about ziplocs. I do use them to mix all of my rubs they just seem to do a better job. You can also use a rolling pin or meat pounder to get any lumps out. However, I don't think they are good to store something you want to keep dry. Especially if you have brown sugar in the rub. Just thought of something here. According to MeatHead most spices are not water soluble so it may not matter. I don't usually put salt in my rubs (it is water soluable) rather just add salt to the meat then the rub.

Comment

I like re-purposed bottles of Grolsch beer. It has a tight gasketed lids with lever clamp. Mason jars would work too. I use them for homemade sauce and ghee.
        Last edited by HC in SC; January 6, 2015, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Funny you said that about Grolsch beer. I have two of those that I use for water when I am fishing. I was thinking something like the OXO pop top containers so that you could measure the amount of rub with a tablespoon.

Comment

This is the .8 quart storage container from OXO.

Comment

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              I got a few of these for Xmas with metal tops, but haven't tried them.

I have another thought with a Mason jar but need to try it out first to see if it works. Will post it if it works.

Comment

I use these empty pepper corn containers from Bed, Bath and Beyond as well as the Grolsch bottles - they have a wider mouth for measuring spoons.

I like the cork top for easier access than Mason jars:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	49430

Comment

• Dr ROK
                Dr ROK commented
                Editing a comment
                I've found these measuring spoons with the elongated ends to be much more useful with those annoying small mouth openings. http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Prog...asuring+spoons

Don't forget to use the amazing ribs link!

• HC in SC
                HC in SC commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Doc Rok!

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                I like those spoons also. I have them on my Amazon wish list so maybe next week. when I order something.

I just put mine in mason jars and store them in the darkest part of my pantry.

Comment

Here is one of the thoughts I had today. Use the OXO container to store the rubs. Actually you can use anything that you can get a measuring spoon in. The .8 quart OXO container is square and not too deep. You can get all of the rub out of it with a normal table spoon. When you get ready to cook put 2 or 4 tables spoons of the rub in a Shaker of some kind an use that to put rub on the meat. This way you can measure how much rub you want on the meat. Such as 4 table spoons on a St. Louis Cut slab of ribs. I use these OXO's for sugar and flour so that I can get one cup measuring instrument into it without a problem. It is easier than pouring. Just a thought.

Comment

Found these shaker tops at the local Meijers today while killing an hour waiting for my boy. these are made by Ball in the canning section for mason jars, 2 pack was a $1.49.
                  holes are approximately 1/4-5/16 of an inch and lids lock in the open position.
                  I picked up a pair but have not tried it but thought i would share since these look like they would work very well.

Name:	shaker lids.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	52158 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5589.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	52161 Click image for larger version

Name:	1720[1].jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	52163

Name:	1715[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	52164
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They don't seal. I have them.

very cool!

Comment

I'm having one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Comment

They look great. If I didn't have a bunch of Hodge Podge containers that work well I would get those.

Comment

Yes that looks great.. I wonder though how fast those holes would pour. I guess you'd find out the first shake and adjust from there.

I reuse old spice shaker containers, which is not nearly as sightly as those would be with mason jars. Good find!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do this too.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here