Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust shelf life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust shelf life?

I made a batch of MH’s Memphis Dust well over a year ago. When I dip a wet finger in and give it a taste it seems perfectly fine. I used it 2 or 3 months ago on ribs and my wife and I didn’t have a trip to the emergency room. Next time I’ll cut the recipe in half because I still have plenty left. But is the finger-dip taste test reliable? Anyone have a negative experience with MD 1+ yr old?

Clearly you just need to cook at least twice as often.

As long as you keep it sealed up in a Ziploc bag or something similar, you should be good to go for quite a while. There's really nothing in there that is going to go "bad," but it will degrade in quality over time if it's exposed to air. I have had some that was forgotten on the back of a shelf in the pantry for probably a year, and it was ok.

Comment

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQRapper Lol, I knew the 1st response would probably be "Just cook more you big dummy ". (I’m paraphrasing). Thanks!

I have kept MMD for over a year and it's fine. Just store it in a airtight container.

Comment

I put it in mason jars. It only last 3, 4 mos. tops, cuz I run out & have to make more.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, store mine in mason jars as well.

Fortunately I was smart enough to do the airtight thing. I’ll be serving over 20 peeps on Cinco de Mayo. My wife says poisoning her family members is frowned upon. 🤔

Comment

No worries about poisoning, but as was mentioned earlier, the spices will start to lose their punch after about a year. You mentioned tasting it. Did you smell it? If you can't smell the spices, chances are you're not going to taste them either. I'd bet it's lost most of it's punch by now. I keep mine in mason jars in the freezer and that seems to help extend the shelf life. Keep a bit of the stuff you have now to compare to a new batch you make. Give each a whiff and I bet you can easily tell the fresh from the old.

Comment

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          Great advice. Thanks. Yeah, I think I’ll make a fresh batch. When you do great cooks from what you learn on this site and from The Pit, you’re held to a higher standard, even if it is family. Fresh it will be!

I store mine in a zip lock bag and put it in the fridge and can tell no difference in the taste for at least 1 year or maybe longer than that.

Comment

As it gets older, use a bit more than you normally would with a fresh batch.

Comment

It keeps longer than it lasts, in my experience.
            :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here