Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Aging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Aging

So I thought I would try some dry aging with my pork ribs on this past smoke. I Lightly dusted them with coarse sea salt and let them sit for 2-3 hours before cooking. Before seasoning the ribs like I usually do, I gave the ribs a shake to get rid of the excess crystals still remaining on the meat. Seasoned the ribs, cooked them as I usually do when I was finished with them they were so salty I could not eat them. I never tried this method before and thought I would give it a try. Not so sure I will give it another try after wasting six racks of ribs. Where did I go wrong ??? Thanks
    Last edited by smoken; April 20, 2018, 09:24 AM.

Hi! And welcome.

There are two things that could have happened.

1. If it was store bought rub, it may have had a lot of salt in it already. So, presalting would have been overkill.

2. A lot of ribs are packaged in a solution that has a lot of salt in it already. It will usually say on the package.

Comment

Welcome! It looks like you mean "dry brining" not dry aging. I agree with the above- your rub most likely contained more salt. Dry brine with no more than 1/2tsp coarse Kosher salt per lb of meat, OR 1/4 tsp table salt per lb meat. Then make sure to use a saltless rub. Or, simply use a salted rub as the dry brine.

Don't give up- it works and it's the best way!

Comment

I use kosher salt and maybe 1.5 teaspoons per slab let them sit overnite then rub. If your rub has a lot of salt in them then you are double salting. Not 100 percent sure but on the sea salt you would use less than the kosher
        Last edited by customtrim; April 20, 2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          customtrim I think you mean teaspoons not tablespoons. đź‘Ť

• customtrim
          customtrim commented
          Editing a comment
          Auto correct really stinks on this phone Steve B

Welcome aboard. Although I see you’ Been a member for a while now.
        I agree with what Sephon said.
        Also ribs need very little salt because there is really very little meat. Remember the rule of 1/2tsp salt to 1lb of meat. So if you’re ribs weighed 3lbs. You can figure about 1/2 of that is bone. So 3/4tsp salt max is all you want.
        Btw your title should have read "Dry brine" not
        "Dry aging".
        And there’s always next time. This kinda stuff happens to us all.

Comment

Hey thanks for the feedback, and yes I meant dry brining. Of course the first thing I did was to blame it on the rub and faulted myself for not factoring that in. It was one of the rubs I have used in the past with success. Looks like I was too liberal with the salt (obviously). For those of you that brine, does it make a noticeable difference? I know its personal preference and I wanted to give it a try after reading about it. I do enjoy experimenting with different methods and trying to tweak things one way or another. Its all part of the fun, just frustrating this past time. Thanks to all for your input!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally, I don't bother for ribs, because they seem to come out fine regardless. But that could just be me.

My first ribs on the PBC a few years ago were Smithfield ribs that had been processed in a salt solution. I then sprinkled PBC's AP rub on them, lightly but for some flavor. Even that small amount of added (salt-containing) rub nearly pushed the ribs over my family's salty taste comfort level. They were right at the edge. So I learned 2 things from that cook:

1.Check when I buy the ribs to make sure they have not been brined at the processing plant. I steer clear of them, getting untreated ribs only.
          2. Always keep a batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust on hand for ribs. It's so good, and has no salt. That way I can choose to sprinkle a bit of salt on the ribs for dry brining and still have a ton of great flavor, compliments of MMD. As Steve B pointed out, ribs don't need much salt since there's more bone than meat.

For ribs, Meathead recommends 1/4 tsp kosher salt per lb. From his Last Meal Ribs article on the free side of this site:
          The rule of thumb is 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of meat, but ribs are about 50% meat, so use about 1/4 teaspoon per pound. You can simply eyeball it by sprinkling on the same amount of salt you would sprinkle on the ribs if they were served to you unsalted.

I just know that you'll be much happier with your next rib cook, smoken , because that's how the learning curve works. Have fun and keep on smokin'.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; April 20, 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            That's exactly why I stopped buying Smithfield ribs .....

Thank you Kathryn. I will definitely read the ingredient label on my next purchase. I got these at a Sams club... maybe they were soaked with some sort of sodium. Great point. Ken

Comment

Originally posted by smoken View Post
            Thank you Kathryn. I will definitely read the ingredient label on my next purchase. I got these at a Sams club... maybe they were soaked with some sort of sodium. Great point. Ken
            smoken, I almost always get my ribs from Sam's Club--the Members Mark brand--and the ones that I have purchased have not been treated with added sodium. But I always check just to be sure.

I know for sure that Smithfield treats some of its ribs with a salt brine, but it usually says that right on the label. Don't be fooled, like I was back then, by the All Natural or No Artificial Ingredients label, since salt is natural. Look a little closer.

I always look for the nutritional label, and if the sodium content is much above 90 milligrams per 4 ounce serving, then I start checking the label to see if the ribs have been treated. Usually when Smithfield's ribs are in a "12% salt solution" they have 300 mg or more salt per 4 oz serving.

Kathryn

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Ken. I think everything has been covered, so I won't repeat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here