Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled chuck roast tacos rub help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled chuck roast tacos rub help.

Despite the looming blizzard this weekend, I picked up a 3.5# chuck roast to smoke for taco's tomorrow. Does anybody have any rub recipe recommendations? Since it is for taco's, I am thinking something more chili powder based but am open to any recommendations. I imagine there is a good one here, I am just not sure what it would be called.

Thanks in advance!

Oddly enough I got my first chuck roast to do this weekend, and since we have a bunch of hatch chilies hanging around I was thinking of doing tacos! I threw together Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub (BBBR) last night and plan to use that, I'm sure you could take it up a notch or two if you go heavier on the chili and cayenne? https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...eef-rub-recipe

Comment

• Ozzie
      Ozzie commented
      Editing a comment
      I was headed down the BBBR road if nothing else came up.

I made a chuckie last weekend and used a southwest rub. It came out nice but since I'm at work I don't have my recipes. I would think if you looked up "southwest rub" you will find something.

Comment

• Ozzie
      Ozzie commented
      Editing a comment
      Duh! Good idea. I was fixating on a finding a Latin name / term I didn't know. Thanks

I can't offer any more tips on rub really, other than tacos love cumin and beef loves pepper, but I too am cooking in the weather tomorrow. Got a brisket ready to roll come snow, sleet, hail or ice, and looks like it'll be a combo of all the above.

Comment

• Ozzie
      Ozzie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip on the cumin. While the taco's sound good, I am really cooking for sanity tomorrow. I just can't wait any longer. I hope the pellet cooker can hang on. Blizzard in April!!! This winter just stinks. :/

What if hell freezes over?

Comment

Bummer! Gonna be around 80 here tomorrow...

Comment

Try this:

1/2 Tablespoon each of kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, and paprika. This is my base run.
        add:
        1 teaspoon of Cumin
        1 teaspoon of Chipotle
        1 teaspoon of Coriander
        2 teaspoons of Brown Sugar

Comment

• Ozzie
          Ozzie commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt Thanks for the input. I missed your post as well Friday night with our fabulous weather spectacle up here. I am going to put this down as #2 on the list. I gotta go bold and try texastweeter 's next.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Ozzie If it doesn’t work for you on beef, give it a shot on boneless skinless chicken thighs

I usually just salt and pepper my Chuckies. I usually make enough for 3 to 4 meals so I'll always season after it's cooked. That way i can do tacos one night and beef hoagies the next night.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Smart!

2.5 Tbs Ancho chili powder
        1 tsp chipotle chili powder
        1 tsp guajillo chili powder
        1 tsp cayenne
        4 tsp smoked paprika
        1 tsp Mexican oregano
        1 tsp table grind black pepper
        1/2 tsp granulated garlic
        1/2 tsp granulated onion
        2.5 Tbs cumin
        2 tsp ground coriander

Dry brine first 24 hours in advance, brush with canola oil, then rub heavily and smoke over mesquite and oak.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, you stole my recipe!! We use homegrown and smoked peppers and a bit more garlic, but I think coriander is the key in this.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike I use a lot of KenC52 peppers when available. Cut in half, scrape out seeds, and throw in my smoker when on a long cook like brisket.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your style.

texastweeter Thank you very much. I got a little distracted with our Snownami up here and consequently didn't see this in time. This feels like what I was looking for. I ended up using a very simple Tex-Mex rub recipe from the CAB website and it basically imparted no flavor. I ended up sprinkling Chipotle powder on the shredded meat to give it a kick. This looks fantastic though as I am looking for a much bolder flavor. Definitely giving this a shot next time. Have you ever tried cinnamon or fine coffee powder in a rub like this?

Thanks again!

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Coffee, yes, unsweetened coco, yes. cinnamon, no..... I don't like it in my chili, so wouldn't put it on my tacos. I try to stick to southwestern flavor profiles.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here