Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Rub for Beef Jerky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Rub for Beef Jerky?

I was wondering of anyone can recommend a dry rub (recipe or commercial product) in lieu of a marinade for beef jerky. There are some recipes around the web, but this board is the gold standard, so I thought I'd ask.

My interest is mainly a desire for efficiency. Jerky is very popular around here, and marinade adds time to the prep and to the drying.

I'm also interested in the question whether it makes sense to add Prague powder to jerky made in a dehydrator (160 degrees F).

The only way I have made jerky is to follow the way my Dad made it. I use thinly sliced (like thick bacon) brisket. Trim most of the fat. Season both sides of the slices with Lowry's Season Salt and black pepper. Place the seasoned slices in a large ziplock back and put it in the fridge overnight. Next day you use wooden skewers to hang the strips from your smoker rack(s) and smoke in low and slow for about 6 to 8 hours using charcoal and your wood of choice. The "art" comes in watching it closely towards the end and making the call as to when it is done enough without getting overdone or underdone.

Comment

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      I've thought of trying something similar -- basically "naked" jerky with nothing but salt and pepper. That's how I do hamburgers, after all. Brings out the pure beef flavor, for sure.

I've tried a few marinades over the years but i've never found anything that was better than the simple seasoned salt & pepper method. It basically leaves the meat flavor and then you also get the smoke. We have also used flank steak but brisket is cheaper. I wouldn't necessarily even go for a good grade of brisket. I have used Choice but could never see paying Prime prices and making jerky with it. I usually just grab a nice looking slab at the grocery store and trim it the way I like it. As far as wood, my Dad often used Orange and I have used mesquite, hickory, and even Jack Daniels chips.

Comment

It's been a long time since I've made any, but I always just used steak seasoning with some extra cayenne and some other stuff to give it a kick. Maybe a bit of Worcestershire, too. Cut I found work best was top round intended to be a London broil. You really don't want to have any marbling because this can shorten the shelf life of the jerky when it goes rancid.

Never gave much thought to only using dry ingredients to save time; the dehydrator is pretty efficient.

Didn't take me long to figure out I could just as easily make my own instead of buying seasoning specifically made for jerky. I bought my dehydrator over 25 years years ago, before the WWW, so I never looked at other recipes. Maybe this should change!

Nothing beats your own flavor profile, though.

Comment

I have used many of the "Hi Mountain Seasonings" jerky rubs. (purchased online-Amazon I think) There "Original" is my favorite.

Comment

• Baltassar
          Baltassar commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, I will look for those.

SMOG MANditto, except their black pepper is my favorite. Baltassar are you using strips or ground meat?

Comment

• Baltassar
          Baltassar commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I've never tried using ground beef. I generally use some form of round, which is lean and tends to be cheaper than other choices.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Baltassar I use a combination of Worcestershire, soy sauce and liquid smoke when using my dehydrator. I mix a couple tablespoons of each and paint it on the strips, and then sprinkle on the dry rub. Flip the meat and repeat process. Into bag and refrigerate overnight before putting on dehydrator.

I've used Hi Mountain, various other pre-made rubs, as well as my own concoctions. However, I have never done a dry prep as I feel a marinade gets the flavor more fully into the meat when it is sliced thin for jerky. In my experience, dehydrating the "wet" slices typically takes anywhere from 4-7 hours @ 155. Not a day killer if you start early. Hi Mountain has many good flavors available, and I highly recommend them.

Comment

• Baltassar
          Baltassar commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going to try High Mountain, for sure. But you may be right about marinade. That's what I've always done. Last few times it seemed like a chore, but maybe it's just me. Anyway, always good to try new things.

I use different kinds of seasonings and spices. Can you tell me exactly how you season the meat? I was advised to choose one of these mechanisms, but I'm not sure if they are really effective.

Comment

Between Marinade or just Seasoning I never really noticed a difference unless doing Teriyaki. Normally prefer the flavor of the meat and spices with just the seasoning. But to be fair I have only ever used my oven to do it.

My PBC should be here Friday, but I don't believe I could sustain temps that low on it or my kettle consistently to turn out a good product. Been thinking about getting a gas or electric specifically for jerky.

Good luck!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            As I'm sure you've done your research, new barrels tend to leak at the lid until a nice layer of "flavor" forms. I occasionally still need a couple of bricks on the lid to get it tight. Can't wait to see your adventure. pbc, pbc, pbc…...

• Voodoo628
            Voodoo628 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup I am tracking, going to give it a good break in this weekend. Once she gets broken in I am excited at all the good results and stories I have read. Be a great addition!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Kettle, ya can.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here