Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you looking for in a beef rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    That is a great rub!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Agree!

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    I kind of like something that adds a bit of interest to the beef. Whether that involves the spice of BBBR, the herbs of Mrs. O's Cow Crust, or just kicking the umami of SPG up with Accent or fish salt, I'm just looking for extra flavor that compliments the beef. Fish salt, MSG, mushrooms, or other high glutamate ingredients tend to make beef beefier.

Leave a comment:

• Rod
    replied
    I'm still learning my way around. However, Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust is by far my favorite for beef. I know rosemary is quite the bully, but that rub and Meatheads method for steaks is a life changer for me!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I can go both ways. I love using simple salt and pepper. I actually get more satisfaction out of cooking with a simple rub. It is harder to get away with an unclean fire when there is less to cover it up. S&P allows the marriage between smoke and meat come together and really shine without being overpowered. Sometimes I will add some garlic powder and onion powder to bring in some umami flavors, but for the most part, I just use salt and pepper.

All that being said, like Frozen Smoke , I love Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops. It is a complex rub that I use, when I am not doing strictly S&P.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    Great input, thanks! Yes, I’ve heard lots of good things about Blackridge. Haven’t tried Heaven Made, will have to order some. I’m keen on testing Moe Cason’s rubs too.

I will make my own from the ground up. I’ll let you know how it goes. It’s a lot of fun trying out different combinations to get the flavor profile just right.

Leave a comment:

• wrgilb
    commented on 's reply
    Plus 1 for Oak Ridge. We are distributers for them and Mike is a pleasure to deal with. We also, stock and sell Dizzy Pig, which I like very much.

• RonB
    replied
    Dry rub then either pepper or low sodium Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    BBBR is delicious.

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    Pepper, garlic powder, little onion powder and of course salt.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    I like mine with medium pressure with fingers close together, making sure I don’t miss a spot. Then when finished, a good little patt. I might even add an "atta boy" at the end.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    I really like the BBBR and there’s times where I just want S&P.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Henrik What about you make your rub with the pepper as whole peppercorn. Then on the label you instruct the customer to put it in a blender or spice grinder to crack the pepper just before applying it to the meat?

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    I like BBBR, or just salt, pepper, and garlic. Definitely NOT SWEET for beef rub.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Pepper.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here