Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you looking for in a beef rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you looking for in a beef rub?

Yes, I know, that's a tough question: or rather, a question with many answers. Let me give you a little background. I am running a bbq company. A small one, but still. I love barbecue, and I want to spread the gospel here in Sweden.

Next on my product lineup will be Tennessee hickory chunks. And I'm currently in touch with a bag/pouch manufacturer (in Canada actually), as I'm keen on doing commercial rubs.

I've been wanting to do commercial rubs for a long time, and the plan is to offer a top notch rub. First out, beef and pork. I'm gonna make a few samples and let other people try them before I nail the final recipe. I'm close now, I think.

And then I thought: What about the Pit? Here's a great group of people, all passionate about barbecue, what do you all think? Are you a 'less is more' type of guy, or do you want an 'over the top' rub? What do you fancy? Hit me!

So far my favorite beef rub particularly for brisket has been Black Ops from Oak Ridge BBQ. That or just salt and fresh ground pepper. I'm guessing you're talking about making and packaging your own? If not I think Oak Ridge BBQ is open to wholesaling to distributors. Actually all of their rubs have been superb and I've tried nearly all of them and is about all I buy any longer.
    I use to mix my own but as I entered into the cooking for large event arena making my own especially in large batches just meant keeping a lot of spices in large amounts on hand not to mention I didn't have the time to mix it all amongst all the other couple hundred things to do to prep for a large cook.

So that led me to trying commercial rubs which I've tried plenty believe me. Once I stumbled upon the Oak Ridge stuff it was instantly apparent at least to me these guys had it above the rest. Freshness and flavor profiles were above par.

Google them up and give them a look.

Comment

• wrgilb
      wrgilb commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus 1 for Oak Ridge. We are distributers for them and Mike is a pleasure to deal with. We also, stock and sell Dizzy Pig, which I like very much.

Me personally, I am neither less is more nor over the top (I suppose we all think that of ourselves don't we?). But I appreciate good ol' black pepper. Not spicy, not cayenne, but a good flavorful black pepper spice first. Then I appreciate onion & garlic. I don't need smokey in my seasoning (no chipotle, no smoked paprika, etc) it's a moot point IMO since I'm smoking the beef anyway. Lastly, I like umami, luscious mouthfeel. But, that's less important to me again, because the beef will have that.

What I've been loving lately is Heaven Made Products' Brisket rub (they are low salt but high umami) mixed with Meathead's BBBR. I vary the ratios, but currently I'm digging 2/3 BBBR and 1/3 HMBR, but I've also done 50/50. Anyway, those two together give me what I crave in a smoked beef rub.

There's undoubtedly dozens of great mixtures out there, and I've only tried 5 or 6, so my words above only reflect my experiences and preferences of course. I've tried Black Ops and liked it, but it didn't wow me.

Comment

Pepper.

Comment

I like BBBR, or just salt, pepper, and garlic. Definitely NOT SWEET for beef rub.

Comment

Henrik What about you make your rub with the pepper as whole peppercorn. Then on the label you instruct the customer to put it in a blender or spice grinder to crack the pepper just before applying it to the meat?

Comment

I really like the BBBR and there’s times where I just want S&P.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              BBBR is delicious.

I like mine with medium pressure with fingers close together, making sure I don’t miss a spot. Then when finished, a good little patt. I might even add an "atta boy" at the end.

Comment

Pepper, garlic powder, little onion powder and of course salt.

Comment

Dry rub then either pepper or low sodium Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Comment

Great input, thanks! Yes, I’ve heard lots of good things about Blackridge. Haven’t tried Heaven Made, will have to order some. I’m keen on testing Moe Cason’s rubs too.

I will make my own from the ground up. I’ll let you know how it goes. It’s a lot of fun trying out different combinations to get the flavor profile just right.

Comment

I can go both ways. I love using simple salt and pepper. I actually get more satisfaction out of cooking with a simple rub. It is harder to get away with an unclean fire when there is less to cover it up. S&P allows the marriage between smoke and meat come together and really shine without being overpowered. Sometimes I will add some garlic powder and onion powder to bring in some umami flavors, but for the most part, I just use salt and pepper.

All that being said, like Frozen Smoke , I love Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops. It is a complex rub that I use, when I am not doing strictly S&P.

Comment

I'm still learning my way around. However, Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust is by far my favorite for beef. I know rosemary is quite the bully, but that rub and Meatheads method for steaks is a life changer for me!

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is a great rub!

I kind of like something that adds a bit of interest to the beef. Whether that involves the spice of BBBR, the herbs of Mrs. O's Cow Crust, or just kicking the umami of SPG up with Accent or fish salt, I'm just looking for extra flavor that compliments the beef. Fish salt, MSG, mushrooms, or other high glutamate ingredients tend to make beef beefier.

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here