Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KFC's 11 herb and spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KFC's 11 herb and spices

Found this today. Might give it a try.

Countless recipes have been tried out in the Tribune test kitchen but never one quite like this. Our mission: find out if 11 ingredients handwritten on a piece of paper could be the secret blend of…

Worth a shot. I found one on the internet a long time ago, and while it was good it wasn't close, though it claimed to be the secret recipe. This sounds more credible having been tested several tasters. I'd love to see Chef Ryan tackle this one.

Comment

• Chef Ryan
      Chef Ryan commented
      Editing a comment
      added to my list

Neat. I used to have a book of rip-off recipes that supposedly duplicated well known restaurant recipes. I was not impressed with any that I tried. The taste testers give more credence to this recipe.

Comment

Ok, I give up. What is Origino (sic)? We're the spices all ground or some leaf as well? Was this a standard breading procedure of flour, egg wash and flour? Or did the just add egg to the buttermilk and call it a day?

im thinking of making chicken today. The problem is that I have not had KFC in at least 10 years that I can think of.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        If anyone can do this, it is you.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        and is it Mexican oregano or Mediterranean? two completely differt plants.

I may have to give this one a shot sometime. There still exists in Shelbyville, KY a restaurant that the Colonel and his wife Claudia opened way back when, and they still serve chicken made with the original recipe. Kind of a really classed up KFC. It's funny; I never consider going to KFC for fast food fried chicken, but I love Claudia Sanders' Dinner House.
      Last edited by Steve R.; January 22, 2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Great place to eat!

Might give it a shot. Thanks!

Comment

I'm an idiot!
        Origino is oregano. Doh!Spinaker
        Im going to make this today.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          That's how they spell it in Kentucky, don't you know? ;-)

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Where’s spell check when ya need it?

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny, I took it to mean KFC Origino as opposed to Extra Crispy .....

ComfortablyNumb I do now! I have two whole chickens a cut up in the fridge. Decided to Debone the breasts and have a stock pot with all the goodies (bones from 2 chickens) on the stove to use for the gravy on the mashed potatoes. Taters are peeled and holding in cold water and the slaw is made and getting good in the fridge. Tic Toc.

Comment

• lostclusters
          lostclusters commented
          Editing a comment
          Bib on, knife and fork in hand!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Well????

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Patience fellows, he's on the dark side of the moon.....

this is my go to after brining in pickle juice. and a buttermilk/egg wash
        • 1/2 cup flour
        • 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
        • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
        • 1/2 teaspoon salt
        • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
        • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
        • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt

Comment

Huskee ComfortablyNumb Honestly.... I'm kinda a "No Go." This was just weird. Ok here's the set up.

2 whole chickens busted up
          A 30 minute buttermilk brine as indicated (with a little more milk and egg as I doubled the recipe)
          exact as I can for volume measurement on the spices (doubled)
          canola oil (I like at least 50% lard)
          cast iron
          sheet pans with racks
          mashed taters (Money, no gravy needed because I was lazy)
          MH mayo creamy slaw, amazing as always

so i pretty much duplicated the recipe and here is my "opinion."
          1. I barely remember what KFC tastes like, then it all came back to me.
          2. All of those spices were costly compared to the chicken I normally make.
          3. The technique in the recipe was substandard compared to a Standard breading procedure.
          4. The "Money chicken" was wtihnthe skin in tact and with Accent/MSG
          5 I fed Sophia a couple of pice of Chiken finger which I fabricated without skin and she was not thrilled.
          6. I then fed Sophia 2 chicken wings (as featured in video) with a sprinkle of accent and "Bingo!"
          7. My personal thoughts are the chicken fat and the MSG can make anything taste good.

should you try it? Sure, why not? Will I try it again or try and fix this one.... Nope!!

No harm, no foul my chicken was cooked well and there will be no waste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	444217

Name:	IMG_1034.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	444220

Name:	IMG_1038.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	444218

Name:	IMG_1042.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	444219

Name:	IMG_1044.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	444221

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I could care less if it replicates KFC, I'd eat that chicken any day Holmes !!!

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks like original recipe... and delicious. I'm trying to eat better, but this thread is going to force me to get some fried chicken for lunch today.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            if you look at the history behind the recipe, one of the problems is the measurments. If it is the handwritten one on the web that is supposed to be the original (the one with a ton of whit pepper) it does not distinguish teaspoons from tablespoons.

Do you have any leftover rub? Curious how a smoke roasted chicken would taste (not fried).

Comment

It's the ginger's fault.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha! Your favorite....

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              no soul....

As I understand it, the "real" secret to KFC Original is that it's pressure fried.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I was going to make the same comment as Willy . There have been a number of documentaries on that subject, his chicken apparently wasn't as good nor could it be produced in sufficient quantities without the help of a pressure cooker.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              they say the same thing about chick fil-a, but that recipe I posted is pretty darn close to it.

Beautiful chicken HouseHomey

Comment

Willy Troutman i believe so, that's what I told my wife. I always season the crud out of my chicken then coat with seasoned flour, then into seasoned egg wash then panko. If I soak I do it the same a shown above but soak in milk with fresh lemon juice.

i knew I was not going to use all of that rub but I wanted to stay true to the recipe.
              Last edited by HouseHomey; January 23, 2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here