Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us your spice rack/cabinet/area(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are just the kitchen cabinets. Let's talk about the 50 or more condiments and sauces in the fridge and the bags of rice/grains/grits in the freezer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210115_053837.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	974281

Name:	20210115_053921.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	974282

Pantry

Name:	20210115_054308.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	974283

Name:	20210115_054210.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	974284

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Wondra, Ghee, Oakridge, furikake and plenty of acid. A first rate cabinet.

However.... we need to talk about your peanut butter and salt selection.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey That's not mine. It's for the dog. I got a jar of Skippy Super Chunk I use for the occasional PBJ sandwich. I also have some different finishing salts in the back that you can't see.

Publix no longer carries Diamond Crystal Kosher so I'm stuck with Morton's.

I was getting spices out to mix up some beef rub one day recently, and started counting bottles. I stopped counting after I got to 110! It's a hodge-podge of small grocery store sized bottles and large bulk bottles. I've got to do something about it, and feel that it is WAY too many spices. The problem is, every time I go to do a recipe, it will call for some spice I don't have.

This is just one of 3 pantries, and mostly has the spices, condiments, baking stuff, salt, sugar, and sundries. The weird "U" shaped shelving comes because with solid shelving, stuff was unreachable due to the depth, and would also get lost and be invisible. This is part of what USED to be a laundry closet in the kitchen many years ago - the other 2/3 or so is where our fridge sits, recessed into a framed in opening. That is why it is so deep.

What do other folks do when they come across a spice in a recipe, which you don't have? Run out and get it, or substitute something you do have? Right now, I am feeling that I must abstain from buying any more spices, rubs, etc, until I use up some of this. And I just received a box of pepper flakes from Flatiron Pepper Company (gee! Thanks Kathryn fzxdoc for turning me on to THAT one!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4306.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	1007782
    Last edited by jfmorris; March 23, 2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Jared49 I know! I was embarrassed when I counted them. I think I included rubs and spice mixes, salt and pepper in the count. This does not include all the hot sauces, oils, etc.

• Jared49
      Jared49 commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣🤣

• acorgihouse
      acorgihouse commented
      Editing a comment
      I probably have that many, I'm winding down and headed for the rack, but could take photos tomorrow. I've been a Penzey's addict for a long time, and also shop at markets where spices come in large bags, so I have a lot also. Can take photos tmrw for deniers. I have learned to search Mr. Google when a recipe asks for what I don't have, ie. "subs for herbes de provence", and it will tell me what to sub. I have too many orphan spice mixes at this time, and need to pare it down, for the space.

I can no longer recommend this one: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...205#post968205

The flaw in the design is the there is no backing to the wire shelves so the spices push back against the door, create gaps, and make the entire thing unwieldy. The rack lasted about 2.5 years before it basically fell apart and dumped my spices all over the floor. Needless to say, not a good outcome and we lost quite a bit of paprika among other spices.

We ordered this new one ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKQ84ZFG/ ) which seems to fix the issues. Notice the extra sticky tape holding the rack to the door and the baskets which prevent the spices from pushing back against the door. I feel reasonably confident this will treat us better.
    Last edited by STEbbq; March 24, 2023, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. No issue here.

Name:	20230324_212023.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1396352

Comment

Shame on you, The Pit! End Pantry Pirn now!! 😉

Name:	A214E3FD-2B17-4A10-9854-0066F1E86CE8.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	1396445

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          But that I have a pantry this big.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          THATS IT!!! Im knocking down the pantry and building a guesthouse. im tired of the clutter

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey !! Good to hear from you. 💪💪

Here's mine... Click image for larger version

Name:	20140818_223848.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1396813
        Code:
         [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":1396814}[/ATTACH]
        Attached Files

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

This one is much studier than the old one. Holds more as well with the baskets keeping the spices from pushing against the door. There are multiple suction cups and two way stickers holding it flat to the door.

Attached Files

Comment

Here's mine: a converted built-in ironing board cabinet in the kitchen. The fold down ironing board is long gone so I added some shelves for spices. This picture was taken years ago, I have redone the walls since then.

Click image for larger version  Name:	spice_rack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	1397640

I also have a stainless shelf similar to this one from Amazon in the hall outside the kitchen for my ever expanding spices - getting into mixing my own blends, especially making the different curry blends for Indian cuisine, from scratch using bulk spices really takes up space.

Last edited by 58limited; March 26, 2023, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Admit it… you still have that wallpaper. 😉

I lived in a converted craftsman and my apartment had that kind of spice rack. A converted ironing board cubby. Love it!

• N227GB
            N227GB commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice repurposing of something from a bygone era!

A few questions; does your home also have a milk door? What's the vintage appliance on the left? I can't figure out if it's a radio, a combo dishwasher / clothes washer, or a type of slow cooker.

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            N227GB My house does not have a milk door (that I know of). The appliance is an old Nesco roaster with optional pedestal/ storage cabinet. It works, I've roasted a turkey in it but I mainly use it to hold warm foods such as chili for picnics. The roaster can be lifted off of the pedestal and set on the counter or taken to an event.

Here is a video I did of most of my rubs and seasonings about a year ago:

The other spice cupboard is pretty similar to most of the other messy ones here. Just a shelf with a ton of random bottles and bags of most of the standard spices.

And now a gripe... I was making some Italian sausage this past weekend and I needed some fennel seeds and some marjoram. The bulk spice section of my grocery store had fennel seeds so I picked up a quarter cup or so for $0.33. But they didn't have marjoram in bulk so I had to buy a little bottle of it from the spice aisle. $5.39 for one of the little bottles!!! Ridiculous.

Comment

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to get some more marjoram the other day, almost couldn't even find it in the spice aisle!

I certainly could stand to be a bit more organized, but I at least have it contained to a couple of spots...

kitchen cabinet and wall rack
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20230325_204754.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	1398674 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230325_204805.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.13 MB ID:	1398671

I keep my bulk spices, and all of my assorted bbq rubs, on a rack in the basement where I set up a small pantry for dry goods...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230328_182017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.33 MB ID:	1398672 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230328_182029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.70 MB ID:	1398673

Comment

• Angryfish
            Angryfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Quite the collection!

Here are my recently installed spice racks. I have bulk storage in the basement. Click image for larger version

Name:	52B09030-0C73-4617-95A2-915B68A0CB62.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1398710

Comment

Not sure why I should show my spice cabinet, but here ya go!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Angryfish
              Angryfish commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m surprised that no one has zoomed in for a closer look.

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Angryfish the container of what looks to be “special sh*t”? One of the lazy susans is from ikea?

• Angryfish
              Angryfish commented
              Editing a comment
              You win!!
              I found the Special S**t on Amazon. Immediately bought 3 to give to some friends for fun. Pretty good on burgers and stuff, but BE WARNED! Very salty. Only use as you would seasoned salt.
              Fun to have around.

I used an old pallet to hold my spice by the grill and smoker. The table top is a left over piece of granite from the kitchen remodel.

Name:	image.png
Views:	132
Size:	524.3 KB
ID:	1413806Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	131
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	1413807

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Show off! Jk. I 💕💕💕💕💕💕 this!

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice way to repurpose. Very inventive.

who knew spice cabinets were a "thing."

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that you Homes? Long time no see !!

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Tis me sir.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here