Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Brisket Rub (looking for something sweeter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SV Brisket Rub (looking for something sweeter)

Looking for some suggestions on a rub for my brisket I am doing in my SV, again.

Something sweeter but may try MH's Big Bad Beef Rub. Anyone use this already when using the SV method ?

I made a small one last week but screwed up and used way too much Salt & Pepper.

I did SV it at 155 for 36 hours, let is cool over night in the fridge and then put it in the smoker for 3 hours.

The meat turned out great, it was very tender and great smoke flavor, just way to salty

I have found using a little Meathead's Memphis Dust mixed in with the more savory rubs is just the ticket for what it sounds like you're after. I add it all the time to my beef and chicken cooks to rave reviews. If you try it, let us know what SV does with it.

Comment

jimwheeler How do you go about SV'ing a brisket? I've got a 16 pounder in the freezer that I was going to smoke a while back, but when it went to 9F outside on the 1st, I dropped it in the freezer instead. Do you use a cooler or something large or do you break the full packer down into point and flat? I have plenty of coolers, and have thought of sacrificing one by cutting a hole in the lid to drop the Anova into...

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoked my New Years’ brisket starting at 10F I actually cut the flat side off and tried it SV, definitely different. Great info on brisket SV in PKBs pitcast interview and responses thread.

I like to mix the Big Bad beef rub and the Memphis Dust.

In fact my next brisket I'm going to try to do a one-to-one ratio and see how that comes out.

Comment

jfmorris I just bought a coleman cooler (the one that holds 24 cans) to start using on my ribs and next big Brisket, but what I have read is people cut the brisket in half so it fits into bags and your water container.

The last brisket i bought was huge so i had to cut it down into point and 2 flats since its just my wife and i and she doesn't like smoked meats so i was not going to eat the entire thing, and i did not want it to go to waste in the freezer after smoking.

BourBonQ What other savory rubs would you suggest ?

Comment

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll often add MMD to BBBR, dalmatian, or basically any rubs that don't already have much if any brown sugar, just to give it a little shot of sweet. I'll even add a smidge to S&G for BBQ'd whole chickens. I like the extra "barbecue-y" kick it adds, and it doesn't take much.

I'd recommend dry brining according to Meathead's direction- 1/2tsp Kosher salt per pound of meat, after trimming. If table salt, use about half of that. Then no matter what you add for other seasonings later it won't be too salty. A storebought brisket rub i really like that's not very peppery is Heaven Made Products' 'Texas Best Brisket'. Buy it online http://www.heavenmadeproducts.com/products.html . I like to mix it with BBBR because I like a little more peppery spice, but it's very umami-rich as is.

Comment

When I don’t use just salt and pepper or bbb my family and I really like Spade L Ranch rub. On Steak it is all I use and always gets rave reviews from friends (I rarely tell them it’s a commercial rub. Haha "secrets"). It has a little sweet and heat to it. I just did 2 SV-BQ chucks, one Spade L. and one salt / pepper side by side family preferred the Spade L. I like both. http://spadelranch.com/

Comment

Don't rub before Sous vide. Sous vide naked, just the salt.

Adhere rub afterwards, to a dried cooked brisket with a beaten egg white.

Everything you need to know about Sous-b-Que brisket can be found here:

Increasing the sugar in BBBR might be sufficient.

Comment

I tried this last month on a recommendation and if you are looking for something a bit sweeter it might just be the ticket.

Big Poppa's Money BBQ rub is an award-winning rub that has the power to enhance the flavor of ANYTHING. It's a competition favorite for a good reason.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here