Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mrs O’Leary’s - affixed with h2o or oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs O’Leary’s - affixed with h2o or oil?

I didn’t see a post on this so thought I’d check. I saw Meathead said he used to use oil to adhere the rub but has changed to water as the herbs are more soluble in it. That’s good short term, but won’t the water based rub fall off the meat if you’re cooking something lean like a beef tenderloin? Thanks and happy holidays, Adam

Nope.

Comment

Hi Adamporter you can use either. I made a prime rib yesterday and didn't use either and the rub adheres. As long as the beef's surface is somewhat moist. I dry brined mine for 24 hrs, wrapped loosely in saran wrap, and it was plenty moist when I unwrapped so I just went w/o any extra liquid and it held mighty fine.

Comment

I’ve never used water or oil, and never had a problem either.

Comment

I don't use anything either and have no problems. The Adrenaline BBQ folks suggest using a light coating of cooking spray to help rub adhere to the meat. I haven't tried it yet but those guys know their stuff.

Comment

I adhere mine with butter!

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Butteer is almost always better.

I use avocado oil. Obviously it allows the rub to stick easier but the real reasons I like it are the high smoke point, which means it is great for high heat searing, and the warm, buttery flavor. (It doesn't taste like avocado.)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here