Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Brine

I am going to be making another batch of bacon this week and will be starting the brine process while we are out of town for christmas. I will be making almost 30 lbs of bacon this batch. I have a big cambro tub that i use for certain things like this and was wondering what I should do if not all the bacon is completely submerged in the brine.

Should I double the brine mixture minus the curing salt (will still have enough curing salt in the brine)? Just add more water? (Will this dilute the brine?)

do you have a cooling rack or something you can fit in the cambro that you can weigh the meat down with to keep it submerged? do it in a big ziplock bag?

Comment

the meat floating is not the issue. never had the belly float on me. it sits on the bottom. it is just the amount of liquid the brine calls for in meatheads recipe. I use a big tub that has a lot of surface area so the liquid is spread out.

I don't have big zip locks to do this and not sure if I want to since it is close to 30 lbs of belly that will be in my fridge.

Comment

Take a look at Dr. Blonder's Cure Calculator here. It will help you figure the amount of curing salt to add to compensate for added water. Don't know about the amount of salt and other spices that you may use in your brine, but I'd think you would want to add them too so that the concentration is maintained.

Comment

What about placing some milk jugs, filled with water, into the tub? If you could put two or three in there, maybe it would displace enough liquid to cover the pork belly. Just an idea. Don't shoot! LOL

Comment

Never thought of that. May have to give that a try. Wondering if milkf jugs will fit in the tub. Thanks Brisket Syndicate

Comment

• Brisket Syndicate
              Brisket Syndicate commented
              Editing a comment
              If the gallon jugs are too big, maybe just half gallon jugs or two liter soda water bottles.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here