Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brining when your store-bought rub has salt in it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brining when your store-bought rub has salt in it

I was in Austin recently and bought myself a bag of rub from Iron Works. Upon further inspection, I discovered that it has salt in it. The problem is that having been convinced of the virtues of dry rubbing, I have a couple of butts sitting with a good sprinkling of salt on them right now and intended to hit them with my new acquired rub, just before I put them in the smoker. The questions are am I risking over-doing it in the salt department if I do this, do I reduce the amount of rub to use, or will it not really matter, as the salt in the rub won't penetrate the meat very much?
    Last edited by Suave Dave; December 17, 2017, 07:19 PM.

I would apply the rub, sparingly. You do risk over doing it with salt, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless the rub you are using is really heavy on salt.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with Spinaker go light on the rub until you see how it turns out this time.
      You can always add a little after its done if you feel it needs it.

The amount of sodium should be listed in the "% of daily of daily allowance" on the package. If it's very low, (<2 or 3 %), I wouldn't worry too much as long as you take note of the "serving amount" used to calculate the %.

What I am saying is that if a serving is one tbsp and that serving contains 2% of the daily allowance you should be OK using a tbsp or two on a rack. However, I would still go easy the first time using it on brined ribs because it's much easier to add salt than remove it.

Comment

• Suave Dave
      Suave Dave commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip, didn't think of that! As it turns out, it was 4% but a serving size was 1/4 Tbsp! I did do the subjective taste test though and it didn't taste over the top salty. I should be fine...

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! That means that 2 tbsp will be about 1/3 of your daily allowance. And that's without the dry brine...

Pork butt is a big chunk of meat so it can handle the extra salt. Cheers!

Comment

I'm with DWCowles on this one butts are pretty big chunks o meat!

Comment

Follow the above advice, but now consider this a learning experience and convince yourself of the virtues of making your own rubs. It is ridiculously simple, less expensive, you maintain full control over what went into it, and when your guests rant and rave over your BBQ you can answer the question "Where did you get the rub?" with a proud "I made it myself."

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          And it contains my secret ingredient!

• Suave Dave
          Suave Dave commented
          Editing a comment
          Been there, done that but I felt inclined to buy a bag while I was in BBQ Mecca...

okay I'm lazy I make my rub and it has salt in it. I'll put the rub on at least the night before thinking it's about the same as dry brine. This is primarily butts and brisket,is it really worth leaving the salt out of the rub and dry brine before the rub?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the same thing, and consider a salty rub as my dry brine on both pork ribs and butts. I treat beef differently however, and just do the kosher salt for the brining, and a saltless rub before throwing on the smoker.

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          on my brisket I do kosher salt and black pepper same with most steaks

Personal preference, but I usually make rubs up with no salt and use a dry brine first. Not sure how much difference it makes but I try to dry brine well in advance so the salt can penetrate.

Comment

I like to try various commercial rubs, but try to approximate Meathead's recommended 1/2 teaspoon salt per pound. If you look at the "nutritional" label on Morton's Kosher salt, it has 480mg sodium per 1/4 teaspoon. Thus, the 1/2 teaspoon has almost 1000mg sodium. Then look at the label on the commercial rub . . . Oak Ridge Black Ops, for example, has 100mg per 1/4 teaspoon. It would take 10 quarter teaspoons (2-1/2 teaspoons) per pound to match the recommended salt (a bit much IMHO). So I use a rounded teaspoon of rub and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. Apply both well before the cook (usually the evening two days before so ~36 hours before the cook). Works for me.

Comment

Just don’t dry brine it. It’s not like bbq sucked all the way up until a couple years ago when people started dry brining. It was pretty good back then, y’know?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here