Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to make a Turkey Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to make a Turkey Rub

I made the Simon & Garfunkel rub and used it on some chickens last week and a turkey that I practiced with this past weekend. After using it 3 times I realized that I was allergic to something in it, probably the sage, after I got hives three separate days. So anybody have any other recommendations on a different rub that I can make tonight and use for Thanksgiving tomorrow? Need something kid friendly, as in not spicy, everyone loved the Simon and Garfunkel rub, but I'd like to eat tomorrow and not end up with hives again.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder, maybe a hint of paprika for color.Roll with it.

At this point its an audible call and you wont go wrong with SPG.

Comment

• Evldude
      Evldude commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds simple, though the turkey was brined before I bought it, so I'd probably leave out the salt.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with above but add granulated onion....SPOG

just leave out the sage.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      and hope its not the thyme lol lol lol

• Evldude
      Evldude commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm not positive it's the sage, just my guess. Probably try something completely different just to be safe.

I think maybe you step to the right, then you step to the left, then you shake it all about. Isn’t that the turkey rub?

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nooooo. That's the turkey trot! LoL

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      No that’s what’s called the turkey hokey pokey

We have done this one a few times. Same as above with the addition of dark brown sugar. Really liked it. 2 Tbsp kosher salt, same amount dark brown sugar, 2 tsp black pepper, same amount smoked paprika and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. You could add a little of this to some apple cider and inject.

Comment

My wife has a story from a while ago where most of her family got sick after having chicken seasoned with sage and they all blamed it on a sage allergy. I personally think it was salmonella food poisoning, but I avoid most sage dishes just in case. I was going to try S&G rub tomorrow without saying anything but perhaps I will take Jon Solberg ‘s advice and go with salt/pepper/garlic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here