Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My go to "secret rub" is equal parts salt, black pepper and granulated garlic. Alternatively, I will do BBBR or Montreal Steak Seasoning. I used Raichlen’s Type A rub a couple times, too.

I think, if you want to hit it out of the park, so to speak, you just can’t go wrong with salt, pepper, granulated garlic.

Comment

• phoccer
      phoccer commented
      Editing a comment
      Curious, why granulated vs powder?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      same reason for coarse ground pepper. You break up the smooth surface of the meat, which helps to hold smoke onto the surface of the meat. Per Aaron Franklin.

• phoccer
      phoccer commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. Learned something new. Thanks!

My Brisket rub is similar to BBBR, but I omit some of the ingredients. I don't see an advantage over buying rubs, I just make my own. BBQ sauce is a different story though. I blend BBQ sauces to get what I want. Tried for years to come up with "My" BBQ sauce. Too thin, too sweet, too hot, too salty, too bland, and then just plain crappy. Got a good sauce now.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Is your good sauce something you buy or make? Do you mind sharing?

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Equal parts Head Country Reg. BBQ Sauce and Blues Hog Original BBQ sauce and some drippings from the meat to cut the sauce a bit. That's it. It's a sweet sauce.

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      TripleB -- try straining the Blues Hog original. I find that it takes the gotcha out that hits the back of my throat.

BBBR. Completely solid. Makes a nice bark.

Comment

Have used Dizzy Pig's Cowlick with turbinado sugar 50/50 for a few years. Last few times I went with BBBR. Both rubs are excellent. Also, since all I can get are flats, I usually inject with apple juice or low-sodium beef broth.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I really like the Dizzy Pig rubs myself, especially for when I don't feel like mucking around building my own. My only problem is I don't use them quick enough!

• Bill P
        Bill P commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm right there with you EdF, and that makes them (and all store-bought stuff) even more expensive. Home made is fresher and cheaper, but I do love convenience!

I have gone to Oak Ridge rubs almost exclusively the last year or so. Black Ops is a outstanding beef rub but I do wish they would make it in a coarser grind. I use to mix my own but then I got into the larger event cooking and mixing my own rubs just wasn't practical anymore. It was just one more thing to do amongst a hundred other things needed to be done.

The Spice House also has some pretty good blends. Oak Ridge is always very fresh if you buy directly from them but don't wait to order too long they batch and ship on Mondays only. So if you order on Tuesday it won't ship until the following Monday.
      Oh, I should mention Oak ridge Brine mix is outstanding as well.

Comment

I like equal parts Tones Restaurant Black Pepper (coarse grind) and kosher salt. Sometimes I'll go 2 parts black pepper, 2 parts kosher salt and 1 part garlic powder. I'm beginning to prefer the second option, after my last two briskets.
        Last edited by Steve R.; December 6, 2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I'm with Spinaker , my most frequent rub is the Oak Ridge Black Ops rub. A teaspoon has only about 1/5 teaspoon salt, so I put about 2-2½ teaspoons per pound on the meat the day before the cook to get the equivalent of Meathead's recommended ½ teaspoon per pound salt. Also like BBBR, but reduce the quantity of black pepper to make my family happy.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            When I'm cooking ribs for myself, I am very much a minimalist. Rub, yes, but very lightly. Hanging them in a drum gives a flavor all its own.

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            CandySueQ - I guess I'm a minimalist too. Before we knew anything about smokers, we made ribs by cooking them "naked" with a water pan on the indirect side of our gas grill till they were fully cooked then moving to the direct side brushed with garlic butter till crisp. Never got any complaints.

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            johnec00, I’ll bet not. Sounds good!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here