Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Rubs

I'd sure love to hear some dialogue about great homemade and commercial Brisket Rubs. Looking to find a commercial go to Rub for when I'm lazy and also some killer home made rubs for when I want to bat it out of the park.
    Look forward to your replies.
    Cheers

Oak Ridge BBQ "Black Ops" is what I use a lot of the time. I am not saying it is the best but I love the flavor profile. Bold and complex.
    Otherwise I use just plain old Salt, Pepper and some garlic powder.

Comment

• phoccer
      phoccer commented
      Editing a comment
      I second the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Simply, easy, and creates a wonderful flavor IMO and has been far preferred to anything else by my family.

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      I second Black OPs. It is very good.

I use this a lot, both McCormick's, an HV store brand...
    Very savoury, on beef of all kinds...
    It's my quick go-to, when I can't/haven't made some up, from scratch.

Comment

• Smokin D
      Smokin D commented
      Editing a comment
      That is my steak go to. Lol

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too - on all the beef I put smoke on.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      also one of our favs

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
    Oak Ridge BBQ "Black Ops" is what I use a lot of the time. I am not saying it is the best but I love the flavor profile. Bold and complex.
    Otherwise I use just plain old Salt, Pepper and some garlic powder.
    Black Ops is good! But my go to is a BBBR variant, always made with high quality ingredients, particularly the Black Pepper!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, fresh ingredients is always better.

Commercial - Heaven Made Texas Best Brisket Rub and Oakridge BBQ Black Ops (go easy on the dry brine as this one has salt in it).

Homemade - BBBR

I’m still a bit of a brisket "newbie" so I have yet to stray too far with experimenting on mine own.

Comment

I gotta say, BBBR is so easy to make. Even when the lazies come over me I'll still whip up a batch. Instead of grabbing one jar of something I grab what, 6 or 7 and shake out the appropriate/approximate amount of each into a jar and give it a shimmy and shake. I'll time the next batch, but I bet it doesn't take more than 3 minutes.

Comment

BBBR or SPG

Comment

Salt, Pepper.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Such a purest. Heehehehe

BBBR is awesome, but in recent years I've begun to dislike the flavor of onion powder so I just leave it out. I also like Steven Raichlen's Brisket rub recipe from his BBQ Bible (no onion powder) because it calls for cumin. I always use Ancho instead of generic "Chili Powder" because I like it.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your style.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            Gracias and ditto, CaptainMike

• Jetski
            Jetski commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm right there with you on the Ancho. I always have that on hand.

Rather than a rub- I have used a marinade with great success. McCormick Mesquite marinade. Since my family is small, I would cut a brisket in half (not separate the point and flat- just cut into 2 pcs) mix marinade and stuff meat into gallon sized zip locks. Coat with marinade and remove all air that you can. Store in fridge for a day or 2 then smoke 1- the other pc went to then freezer - marinade and all to thaw and cook later. This was long before I found Amazing Ribs, we enjoyed this style for years. It was before brisket was popular and Wal-Mart had it for $1.86 per lb. now it is $3.46 so I do more pork than beef. Always on the lookout for some brisket under $3

Comment

BBBR or just plain Salt & Pepper.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              ditto

Yep just S&P. Although I might add garlic powder next time, just because.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I think yer gonna like this, Amigo!

Salt & Pepper with Montreal Steak for texture.

Comment

Weber cookbook has a New Mexican rub that we like. We also like to mix up the chilli powder types.

Comment

I'm going to have to check this out. I'm a big time Southwest/Tex mex fan.
                Cheers

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We've used it on pork as well just added some brown suger.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here