Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sofrito/Recaito (Puerto Rican Cooking base) Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sofrito/Recaito (Puerto Rican Cooking base) Recipe

INGREDIENTS:

1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut in quarters
    8 cloves garlic, peeled
    9 ajicitos dulces cut in quarters, seeded removed.
    1 cubanelle pepper, cored, seeded, and cut in chunks
    1 large bunch recao/culantro coarsely chopped, including stems. About 1 ½ cups packed. Cilantro leaves may be substituted but recao is most authentic. Ease note that culantro is NOT the same as cilantro. Culantro is another name for recao.
    1 large red or green bell pepper, cored, seeded, cut in chunks.

DIRECTIONS:

Peel and cut onion in quarters.

Peel garlic cloves.

Cut ajicitos dulces in quarters . Remove seeds. (I keep most of the seeds in)

Core, seed and cut cubanelle pepper in chunks.

Measure out 1 1/2 cups, packed recao or cilantro leaves and stems. Coarsely chop.

Core, seed and cut red bell pepper into chunks. The red pepper is my addition.

FOOD PROCESSOR: Add the onion, garlic, ajicitos dulces, cubanelle pepper, recao/cilantro with stems, and red pepper to food processor. Add ingredients in batches if your food processor is small.

Pulse until finely chopped.

Spoon out the Recaito into an air-tight container and store covered in refrigerator. Keeps for about three to five days.

Storage: Freezes well. Put Recaito in small freezer zip-lockbagsand freeze.

When ready to use, no need to thaw. Just add about 2 tablespoons Recaito (more or less to your preference) to oil in a pan and sauté for about 10-15 minutes on low heat, mixing occasionally. Recaito is now ready as a savory base to your latin food dish.

I do this and pour into ice cube tray- then freeze. Once frozen, pop out the cubes and store in a ziplock in the freezer. Now you have your 2 tablespoons (approx) ready to pop into any dish you're cooking.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Who has ice cube trays any more?

• Peej
      Peej commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha! Dig DEEP into the back of those kitchen cabinets!

• Marauderer
      Marauderer commented
      Editing a comment
      I use ice trays everyday in my kitchen. ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here