Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling with Mayo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling with Mayo

Great article in the LA Times today featuring comments from Meathead on using mayonnaise for grilling - especially fish. Will try it tonight. Question about the recommendation for grilling roasting potato slices - you have a recipe for that?
    thanks
    You can – and should – grill almost everything using mayonnaise. Here's why, plus some tips, tricks and recipe ideas.

Woohoo! Your first post...Welcome to The Pit DanHoney

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonder why he hasn't won anything?

I gots a Salmon in the fridge and I will test this Mayo mumbo jumbo.

Miracle Whip- something so gross it is a miracle someone doesn't get whip lash while gagging on this stuff

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried mayo on the skin side of some salmon last week, Came out great & my wife ate the crispy skin for the first time.
      P.S. Not MW.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Miracle whip schmiracle whip! Homey don't play that.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      You all make me laugh. No Whip here either. Best Foods in abundance, though. fuzzydaddy, where are you?

Welcome to The Pit Dan.

Comment

Nice to meet you!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
        Miracle Whip- something so gross it is a miracle someone doesn't get whip lash while gagging on this stuff
        Agreed!!! The only exception though is MW on toasted cheese sandwiches ... brings something to the party that mayo doesn't.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm still barfing.....

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Leftovers. 😇

Welcome! I grew up with mayo on fish. From when I was a kid, my parents always used mayo on fish they cooked under the broiler. Always came out yum! My kids think it's weird so, I have to sneak it on and then they don't even know. BTW, Miracle Whip is not Mayo and has no social redeeming value!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed on the MW!

This ain't the grill, but it works, and could probably easily be moved over to it: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...es-recipe.html

Comment

Since the pit is full of so, so may scholars on every issue known to man, space, and mid evil kind.... mayo has a legal, technical definition. Yolks, lemon, ratios and percentages. Need I invoke Veganaisse? Just saying. MW in every sense of the word is not Mayo, it's a dressing.

Comment

Two recipes with mayo (yeah, Best Foods) -
            sockeye salmon - coated with rub, then about a tablespoon of mayonnaise, grilled direct - nice color, and easy to flip, tasted great
            russet potatoes - sliced into 1/2 inch rounds, parboiled for about 5 minute; after lightly drying, applied Memphis Dust, then 1/2 hour later, applied about a tablespoon of mayonnaise per potato, then grilled directed about 10 minutes/side - nice crust, done just right
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4490.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	331334Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4489.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	331332
            Last edited by DanHoney; June 10, 2017, 11:24 PM.

Comment

BBQCentralShow I tried the potatoes on Father's Day after hearing about the mayo idea on the podcast last week. Worked like a charm. My 8 yo son while eating them... "uhh, Dad? Can you make these every day?"

Comment

Well here goes my flatlander taste buds again.
                Miracle Whip is my number one choice over real mayo.
                One of the very first things I ever tried to grill years and years ago was chicken breasts marinated in a MW sauce.
                It was DELICIOUS!! And it hooked me on grilling outside which in turn hooked me on BBQ of all sorts.
                I WISH I could find that recipe again but that was like 40 years ago.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_183414-1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	335925 Cooks illustrated had a recipe for grilled trout a few years ago that had mayo to prevent sticking. It works really well and you don't taste the mayo. I think I used branzino though.

Comment

Anybody used the Best Foods olive oil mayo for this?

Timely thread with Copper River sockeye salmon lined up at Costco.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here