Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubs and Pre-Rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubs and Pre-Rubs

I was watching Malcolm Reed (Killer Hogs) do a video on cooking ribs and he was introducing a pre-rub (No Mercy Dry Marinade) which was a fine white powder looking substance that was used prior to him adding his rub. He never did give a review at the end...Hmmmm? Has anyone tried this product and what are your comments on layering flavors of rubs and how well do they really work. I find that my go to rubs have all the levels of flavor mixed together. Not sure how "layering" really works on a slab of ribs. No Mercy is out of stock on their web site, so someone is apparently using it.

I don't have any experience with this particular product. I would imagine, from looking at their website, that it has salts, phosphates and MSG. These are common in a lot of marinades and injections. They say that you can make this into an injection by adding water. So I am assuming this is pretty similar to many other commercial injections.

Any time you see "Flavor enhancer" think salts, phosphates and MSG. I am not saying they are bad either way. I use rubs that contain MSG quite often.

Comment

Ingredient list:

Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Corn Starch, Dehydrated pork stock, beet powder, yeast extract, natural flavor, hydrolyzed corn protein, spice, silicon dioxide, disodium guanylate and inosinate, soybean oil, calcium stearate, paprika, citric acid.

so, salt, sugar, thickening starch, pork flavor, red color, some texture and binding stuff, something to keep it from clumping, blah blah blah.

Might be good, but imma stick with water and salt for my "pre/rub"

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Corn Syrup Solids, Corn Starch, corn protein, and soybean oil … change that out for Corn Oil and you've got a "whole food" corn kernel!

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Deconstructed corn.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        silicon dioxide, disodium guanylate and inosinate....YUUUUMMMMY!

I think just a dry brine with salt, followed by a good rub with no salt provides plenty of flavour. Not sure how much more a pre rub could add.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here