Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Cured Meat Before Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Cured Meat Before Smoking

I have made Canadian Bacon a couple of times using Meathead's recipe and I want to make some corned beef brisket for pastrami. My question is, once you cure your meat can you remove it from the cure, vacuum seal it, and freeze the meat until you are ready to smoke it? If this is OK, how long can you keep it before you finally thaw and smoke the meat?

If you are going to freeze it, I would cook it in a sous vide bath first, then smoke it. Straight into sous vide from frozen. You should be able to keep cured meat in the freezer for months, if your freezer stays at a constant temperature.

Comment

I have frozen corned beef brisket (both store bought and home made) multiple times without any noticeable ill effects. Just thaw and follow whatever method you prefer for making it into pastrami.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. No problem.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here