Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brining with smoked sea salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brining with smoked sea salt?

I received a free sample of applewood smoked sea salt and was wondering what the result would be if I used it to dry brine something. Is there any reason I shouldn't try it?

I have used smokes salt before I found it gave a nice slight smoke flavor to my food.

Comment

Did you use it just as a seasoning or did you dry brine with it? Just curious if there is any reason I shouldn't use it to brine.

Comment

I have done both I used it to dry brine on some chicken that I grilled and I have also used it as a seasoning. I have not used it as a dry brine before I smoked meat though as that would probably be a waste of the smoked salt as I think the salt smoke flavor would not make enough of a difference to come through if you were going to smoke the meat anyways,

Comment

Have used as/in rub, not as a brine. I suspect th' latter would lose th' nuance(s), but only guessin', here.
          I'm sure many others will weigh in on this question.
          Enjoy yer smoked salt, either way!

Comment

I have used it to brine a steak that went in the hot tub time machine. Works just fine, don't expect much smoke flavor though. It's nice and subtle.

Comment

Do it. Taste it. Then report back!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Sheesh!!! More Homework!!!

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the problem with asking a question. If nobody else has tried it, you get homework!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                You know it! @Mr.Bones JCGrill

Will do!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                We look forward to hearing from you!

I used the smoked sea salt to dry brine a pork butt and a couple slabs of ribs. They all came out great. I don't know how much if any difference it made in the smoke taste of the meat because I used wood while cooking. It may or may not have enhanced the flavor, I don't know. But, it certainly didn't have a negative effect. The family and neighbors loved it!

Comment

Sounds like it works...or doesn't fail...

At least it was tried. AND, most importantly, "The family and neighbors loved it!" So, it is worth it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here