Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This shouldn't be a sticky.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      Does it matter if it is a sticky?

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope... my original post was intended to pass on information that I had spent the time to compile. I measured the MMD recipe exactly how Meathead composed it... then I weighed each teaspoon, tablespoon and cup. Now... it's a major argument in the Pit! I don't get it.πŸ˜–
      Last edited by Huskee; June 4, 2017, 10:33 PM. Reason: EDITED: watch the language please

What the heck happened while I was gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
      Why is this a sticky? I mean is MMD all that complicated that we need this? I'm I over looking something? I mean MMD is why I'm here for sure and I'm going to say that I've made 15-20 lbs of the stuff in that time. Have I done it wrong?

oh btw. You want metric? Move. It's that easy. Not being political here but.... you want it. Pack up and get out. You all are making rub like it's bread! It's just rub. Don't get sucked in.

I'm going one step further. If you need a scale to make your rub you need to rethink your rub. Just sayin. While you need to be consistent you also need some leeway. Your not making meth for heck sake. M

Again why is this as stickey?
      Measuring by weight is arguably easier (and less cleanup) than measuring by volume, and has the advantage of being more consistent. Many people who cook a lot prefer it, as it has proven its value for them. If it hasn't proven its value to you, but it's not hurting you, why knock it?

I prefer it, because I don't have to pull out and clean my measuring cups - I don't have to think about how "packed" my brown sugar is, or whether I'm using a level or heaped teaspoon/tablespoon. My scale is already in use on a daily basis for coffee and a number of other kitchen uses.

I agree it shouldn't be a sticky... it should be added to the recipe at the source.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on brother... some people get it and some people just can't visualize the simplicity of it. Humans are resistant to change! They tend to say... "that's not the way we used to do it" a lot.

It's freakin rub rub. It's not a cure for cancer. Everyone take a step back. I know I've been gone a while but come on. MMD by weight a sticky. You all are taking yourself way to seriously. Try some salt and fire. Try nothing and fire. Try anything and fire. It's freakin bbq. Not indoctrination.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Lighten up Francis...lol

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        My digital scale sits out on my kitchen counter top and gets used daily. My volume measuring utensils haven't been used much for years.

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        And as a cancer survivor, I would appreciate you not throwing around the C word to make a point.

It's freakin rub rub. It's not a cure for cancer. Everyone take a step back. I know I've been gone a while but come on. MMD by weight a sticky. You all are taking yourself way to seriously. Try some salt and fire. Try nothing and fire. Try anything and fire. It's freakin bbq. Not indoctrination.
      Be aware... there are many more people in the world measuring by weight than there are measuring by volume. You are a minority not a majority. When you measure by the metric scale you are dividing 1 ounce by 28. You can measure 1/4 of an ounce exactly everytime your recipe calls for it.

Trying to measure a recipe by volume pretty much assures you that you will rarely duplicate the recipe you mixed the last time you made it. You'll get close... maybe but you will rarely duplicate it. However... if you measure it by weight on a digital scale you can and will duplicate it within 1/28th of accuracy each and every time.

Jon Solberg - it's not rocket science but if you can duplicate mixing a Rub, using fewer tools, that need to be cleaned, after using them and you can count on the Rub tasting exactly the same every time you mix it... that makes things easier and more accurate.

If I have a choice of weighing a recipe or measuring a recipe by teaspoons, tablespoons, cups... I will weigh it EVERYTIME.

Why...???

accuracy... https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...olume-accuracy

duplicating a recipe is easier and more accurate... https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-ll-need-scale

easier, quicker, less work... https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...s-volume-speed

I'm willing to bet you that within one year AmazingRibs.com's recipes will be listed in both volume & weight...
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 4, 2017, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Oh man. If I say what's really on my mind you'll call meathead and I'll get screwed. It's just rub man. Just rub. H

i will tell anyone that reads this before you swing the hammer

don't get sucked in. There's no wrong way to make rub. It's not baking nor is this a baking forum.

Make rub your way. However you want. Your not wrong.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; June 4, 2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You're right... this is NOT a baking forum but "how to make sourdough bread" is the second oldest thread in the Pit Club. Those dudes see the value of a digital scale... for much more than making bread.

Simmer down. Don't get RUBBED the wrong way on this..... hehehehehe

I stand by my comments, I'm working the spoons for my rubs!!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          What amazes me is when someone presents a new and different method of trying to duplicate a recipe, without changing the recipe at all, people go apeshit crazy. All we're talking about here is how to simplify a method of producing a recipe accurately.

Got it J Rod. I'm out. : )

Comment

Oh man. If I say what's really on my mind you'll call meathead and I'll get screwed. It's just rub man. Just rub. H

i will tell anyone that reads this before you swing the hammer

don't get sucked in. There's no wrong way to make rub. It's not baking nor is this a baking forum.

Make rub your way. However you want. Your not wrong.
          "i will tell anyone that reads this before you swing the hammer - don't get sucked in."

Jon... you've said exactly what's on your mind already. As you can tell by reading this thread not everyone agrees with you... or me.

Making Rub by weight is much easier, more accurate and requires less cleanup. Please point out the bad part of that.
          It's obvious that you think measuring Rub recipes by weight is ignorant. I have no problem with that.

You are 100% correct... there is no wrong way to make Rub! There's the easy and accurate way that requires very little cleanup and then there's the other way that takes 3 times as long and requires more clean up and gives you little probability of duplicating your last batch of Rub.

I'll bet YOU that Meathead has his recipes listed on AmazingRibs.com by VOLUME & WEIGHT within a year... you game?

I've never called Meathead...
          Last edited by Breadhead; June 11, 2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks Breadhead , i am going to change my recipe tomorrow and print out the new format. Much easier and much more accurate. Will be more consistent too

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Jon Solberg ... it's not about making your ribs better. It's about making your Rub easier and more accurate to make...

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              To each their own. Lets keep things civil. We are all friends here. Jon Solberg

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              FLBuckeye ... I used my baking knowledge to decide to convert my Rub recipes to weight. More accurate, fewer tools needed and less cleanup. What's not to like?

Not sure how accurate this is as Brown sugar is heavier by volume than white sugar and in the spread sheet B.S. is 135 grams and W.S. is 150 grams. And why would onion powder weigh almost twice by volume as Ginger powder 19 grams vs 10 grams respectively.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              This is an open discussion. Feel free to measure Meathead's recipe and then weigh it. I don't claim the recipes I post to be 100% accurate...😬

I think we can all agree "different strokes for different folks". Breadhead thanks for sharing this information, it was nice and selfless of you to figure it all out and share it by posting it here for us.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I posted what I thought was useful... not everyone agrees.

Breadhead not putting you down I was looking at conversions like this and Brown is heavier than White, so if you did actual weights from your measurements I get it.http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/convers...ram-calculator

Comment

Memphis Dust by weight. I just did it and it's brilliant to prep. Taste test this weekend!

Comment

If... you look at recipes from the point of the creator, let's use Meathead as an example. If he could offer a recipe that every member could duplicate EXACTLY as he wrote it - he would have a much greater chance of wide spread acceptability.

The metric system devides an ounce into 28 portions. There's lots of difference between a level tablespoon and a heaping tablespoon. There's lots of difference between a tightly packed cup of brown sugar and a lightly packed cup of brown sugar. So... if a recipes has 10 ingredients and each person mixing it uses different types of measurements in their teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, etc... you will end up with 10 different results.

If you weigh your ingredients with a digital scale... you will get within 1/28th of an ounce of accuracy.

Hmmm... I wonder why 6 billion people measure their recipes by weight and 300,000,000 measure their recipes by volume???

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're forgetting that most folks who want to throw some meat on the grill do not have a digital scale. I totally dig mine for preparing sausage. We weigh everything, down to the water we add. For rubs, to paraphrase Kenji, " I'm a spoon and cup welding monkey!!"

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Especially for sausage with thinks like nitrites, milk powders and dextrose. And after all of that you still need to cook off a piece and taste before you stuff. Crazy, I know. Good stuff though. Tru, valid discussions above. I did MMD by weight last time. It was good but now I'm curious.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here