Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Recipe by weight... the easy way.πŸ‘

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we all state our favorite method and not have to feel the need to defend it? Preferences are just that, preferences...right? One way is not better than the other, 'better' is subjective, it's preference.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd delete this thread...

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead no reason to delete. Let's just let everyone state their preferred way, and why, and leave it be. No one is wrong for having a contrasting view, on either side. This is a valuable exchange as long as we don't take our different views personally.

"One way is not better than the other, 'better' is subjective, it's preference."

If I thought that, I would not have spent my time to measure the ingredients of Meathead's recipe exactly how he wrote it, and weighed each ingredient carefully, and then published it for my fellow Pit members to reap the benefits of simplifying how they mixed their rubs, recipes. The VAST majority of the world does it by weight, not volume.

Filling your car tires with an electric air compressor is much easier than using a hand held bicycle pump. That's not subjective! Anyone that preferred using a hand held bicycle pump would be a glutton for punishment.

I'm really quite perplexed how this very simple idea got apeshit crazy in the Pit! It's not going to get any better, shut it down!!!

Comment

It's worth discussing who likes what and why. It's not worth getting defensive over. There's no need for that.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Supporting your claims, methods, techniques... can appear to be defensive to those that disagree with you. Meathead found that to be true when he claimed determining doneness with a meat thermometer was better than with your finger tips. Then there was the reverse sear, Chef's thought he was crazy!

To keep this thread productive let's let folks say what they like, and why they prefer it, and just let them say it. Even though you may disagree with another line of thought, no one else is wrong. It's subjective. If we supported the notion that personal preferences and opinions were wrong, we'd be the same as other forums out there. It's ok to disagree.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        There you go...πŸ‘ Having a true discussion is what's best, even if DWCowles thinks I'm crazy.

You all realize less than 5% of the world measures their ingredients by volume... right?
        Last edited by Breadhead; June 28, 2017, 12:21 AM.

No Breadhead I never said that I thought you were crazy. I just don't agree with you on a lot of things and mixing rubs by weight is one of them. Like Huskee said there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's ideals just as long as we disagree peacefully. If we all agreed on the same thing the world would be a boring place.

Comment

DWCowles ... "nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone's ideals just as long as we disagree peacefully."... agreed!

If you can disagree with me without insulting me... I'm ok with that.πŸ‘
        Last edited by Breadhead; June 28, 2017, 12:43 AM.

Comment

I have been reading this thread with some interest and here are my observations. If someone is willing to take the time to do the research and measurements and then post what they think someone will benefit from or save some time with then why is this a debate with people seeming to get angry with one another. Looks to me like we should all just say thank you Breadhead and go about our day. If you don't want to use this method then don't, just do it how ever you want to. The way I look at it the more tools you have in your toolbox the better equipped you are to come to an end that is desirable. I will be honest with you I have always measured my MMD in volume and can not tell any difference between one batch compared to the next one, but if I can save some time using the weight method then that is what I will probably do from now on. If I try this and can't tell any difference then at least I have learned something new. Again, these are just my observations so if you disagree with me then that is OK with me too. Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get! LOL
          Last edited by vandy; June 28, 2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            For the record DW I don't think you have an angry bone in your body, but a couple of the other posts sounded like someone venting. When I am reading what someone thinks I think I have a tendency to think it sounds angry when it is not.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That's one of the biggest problems with computer communication - can't get the tone of voice or the body language.

• vandy
            vandy commented
            Editing a comment
            That is what I was trying to say in a nut shell EdF.

Bakers do it on a digital scale.

I know that type of meme is a bit outdated, but I couldn't resist.

Comment

I just had hot mustard dogs for breakfast. D-licious!

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
              I just had hot mustard dogs for breakfast. D-licious!
              The question is, do you eyeball your mustard, measure it, or weigh it? Inconsistency will affect the taste from one to the other 😁

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL to you both

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                plus 1 on the LOL! You guys have me cracking up!

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                I remember when mustard was only available in a glass jar and you scooped it out with a knife to spread it on your hotdog buns. Then they came out with these new fangle squeeze bottles that you could just spray it on easily. Some people refused to try this new way... for years.πŸ™„

Wish I had noticed this before mixing up a batch today!

Comment

If I wanted everything easy and quick I wouldn't have chosen bbq as a hobby....hahahahahaha

Comment

Breadhead Did you ever do a BBBR by weight? I did a search and didn't see anything

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    See below.......

Originally posted by FLBuckeye View Post
                  Breadhead Did you ever do a BBBR by weight? I did a search and didn't see anything
                  I'm sorry to say that BH is no longer a Pit member and therefore won't be responding. Re your question: To my knowledge, no one has yet done BBBR by weight. I've put together an Excel spreadsheet in which to keep recipes by weight (so far only MMD and Meathead's glop are in there). If you make BBBR the "normal" way, perhaps you'd be kind enough to weigh the ingredients and post them here? I'll add your data into the spreadsheet and will keep it up to date and posted here in the Pit for those inclined to prefer ingredients by weight (where it makes sense to do so, of course).

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I will do this tonight. I am making a few different rubs tonight. I will let you know this evening.

"I will do this tonight. I am making a few different rubs tonight. I will let you know this evening."

Spinaker - Excellent, thanks!
                  Last edited by Spinaker; October 24, 2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did I mention that I am doing this TONIGHT? Hahaha.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We now have two Spinakers! Only he/she spells it correctly. Just an FYI. Just made a slight adjustment so this would go to me and not to them.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here